OT - knee replacement surgery

Were you grouchy because it itched, or was grouchiness a direct symptom of the Tramidol?

Reply to
micky

Why is it that there arent' dirt tracks around more, or dirt marathon tracks. Everyone knows that pavement is bad for knees but no one does anything about it?

What kind of tracks do they have around the football field at high schools and colleges.

Reply to
micky

About 20 years ago, when I was just starting to get fat, because I like to plan years and decades ahead, I called the office of a doctor who did weight loss surgery and his receptionist told me it was only for peoplle who were morbidly obese.

So now that I'm that fat, need to lose 100 pounds, (or 120 to get back to my weight as a senior in high school) I called again and they told me, Surgery can only suck out 10 or 15 pounds. I was prepared to spend 10,000 of my own money, but I thought they'd get rid of my entire pot belly (and that they would cut off the extra skin). which I think is

3 1/2 thick x 12" wide by almost 12" high, and iiuc almost pure fat. That has to be about 50 pounds, right, half of all my owervweightednes. But I can't do that three times, for 30,000. (The price is about 2 years old, in Baltimore. Probably higher some places and lower others.)
Reply to
micky

I have no personal experience with joint transplants.

But what about those knee pads that attach to the leg with a wide elastic band around the whole leg. Contractors use them when they have to be on their knees all day.

Do football players use them?

I've used them, I forget why

**I did have shoulder surgery 35 years ago, for a frequently dislocating shoulder.. About December 15, lots of snow in NY, didn't take my girlfriend anywhere for New years Eve, because I'm a pansy. In the waiting room, waiting for a follow-up check-up, as is the guy sitting across from me. Now he's a man. Had the surgery a week later than I, Dec 22, and still took his girlfriend out on NYE. Slipped on the snow, wrenched his arm, he's there to see what he did to himself. After his apointment, I ask him. He says the doctor said they wouldn't know until it healed and he saw if it was actually better. So months more of doubt and maybe all that money and time wasted. Some times it's better to be a pansy.
Reply to
micky

said it invaribly fails, so when anyone 80 or 100 pounds or more comes in for a knee or hip replacement he refers them for weight loss surgery. Sadly only about 1% of the morbid obese are able to lose most of the weight and keep it off 5 years:(

Sounds like not weight loss surgery, because they dont suck out fat! they p ermanetely make your stomach smaller:) My weight loss surgery was in july 2

001. I weighed 313 pounds, bottomed underweight at around 175, today I weig h about 223, 23 pounds ver the docs goal weight. BEST DECISION OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!

My good buddy proudly announced at the time of my surgery he would lose it naturally. He went from 325 toaround 475 aqnd is very ill from weight relat ed troubles...

Reply to
bob haller

As someone else mentioned, you might want to consult with a sports orthopedic guy as well as the people who do 6 of these a day and get a second opinion. Most surgeries can be done more then one way and I'd want to here the pros and cons for each. A woman that used to work for me hobbled around for years and years with bad knee (or hip, can't remember now, old age...) because she was afraid to have it done. When she finally could hardly walk she had the surgery and it worked out great for her and she wished she'd done it sooner. Another guy I worked with had it done twice because he wore out the first one. He seems to be doing fine after the recovery period. The problem with this kind of surgery is that outcomes run the gamut so to some extend you have to hope for the best.. but for those I've seen have it, it's worked well.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You're right. Thanks. I meant liposuction, both times. 20 years ago they said I was too thin to have it (had to be morbidly obese) , and 2 years ago they said I was too fat to have it, and they'd only take off

15 pounds (but they also wanted me to lose that weight first so all they had to do was tighten the skin.

I suppose this is because they had some bad results, maybe deaths, with sucking out too much fat, but like sugar and transfat and all the other things they warn us about, I figured I'd be fine, and I wanted an easy fix.

That's great. Good for you.

I guess I see the lesson there.

Reply to
micky

I use them for working around the yard on gravel. Aside from slipping down periodically, they work - but, for intermittent use on both gravel and the garage floor I find a small pillow fo be more effective and easy to maneuver. See the paragraph above that starts with "I had it done" - my thoughts exactly.

Reply to
shellyf_DELETE_

G Mulcaster;3266614 Wrote:

Thanks guys. That is what I was hoping to hear... that with some cushioning, I can kneel if I have to without enduring too much pain.

I recently liberated two seat cushions from an old couch that one of my tenants had discarded. They've got molded foam insides so they hold their shape and offer a fair bit of support (unlike some couch seat cushions).

I plan to do the physiotherapy exercises religiously after the operation.

And I plan to learn to "Jitterbug" dance after the operation too. :)

Reply to
nestork

I use these and can even kneel on gravel, just got done painting my foundation.

They have changed me back to doing alot of home repairs. Good and bad,ha.

JAS

Reply to
JAS

No, when I get to the stage that I need knee pads, I'll pop down to my local flooring installation supply store and ask the counter staff there what their customers like best.

When your job involves crawling around all day long on a floor, you need really good knee pads.

Reply to
nestork

What my mother wanted was a piece of wood maybe 12" wide by 10" deep, with casters on the 4 corners. I made her one, she put a layer of reverse-dimpled rubber on it to make it softer, and I think she used it a lot. Not sure though, I don't think I ever saw her use it, but I was away all day every day.

Reply to
micky

Check with your doctor to see if partial knee replacement would work in you r case. My hospital has been considering getting a surgical robot for parti al knee replacement and several hospitals in the area already have them. In formation at

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314