OT: Income Tax Filing But With Delayed Payment-- Question

Can I e-file my federal form 1040 today in February but not pay the balance due until April 10th without interest or penalty solely as a result of this delayed payment?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yes, you can select the date for payment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't know about the USA, but I can do my tax filing any time and payment is not due until the due date.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Same here. I paid mine 10 days after I filed but it was only $80. Interest is 0.01 so no benefit to wait and keep the money in my account. Done and out of the way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No interest until the deadline / due date. (at least here)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I meant the interest leaving it in my account. $80 would not net me a penny if I waited. If you go beyond tax day you do pay penalty and interest.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why would anyone want to file the return, but not pay until the April deadline, as opposed to just filing and paying later at the same time? Only reason I can see would be if you need to use the tax return for some other purpose, eg some bank issuing a loan wants a copy of your 2021 return.

Reply to
trader_4