OT Get ready the economy is about to tank:(

The BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the spill is going to loop all the way around florida. decimating fishing, beaches tourism etc over perhaps half our coast line.

if you own BP stock sell IMMEDIATELY!

BP although a multi national company will likely go bankrupt, and your stock will be worthless........

the economic side effects are going to kill our economy and push us into a worse recession.

Reply to
hallerb

Like XOM?

There may be a great buying opportunity but I doubt they go under

Reply to
gfretwell

Congrats-- Never before have I seen so much crap spewed in so few words.

Did you mean to post this to alt.i-should-just-kill-myself-today-and-end-the-misery ?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

BP will survive in some fashion but they will have to go bankrupt. the secondary costrs are far beyond any companies ability to pay.

the current stock will be worthless, unless you have the paper share for fire starting.

Reply to
hallerb

What, you haven't plonked that guy yet?

Boy, do you suffer from chicken little syndrome! We're Americans, We'll deal with it... man up

Reply to
RBM

The BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the

Yeah its no big problem:) Consider florida and the gulf coasts beaches closed for years, fishing industry shut down too, perhaps 10 to 20 years or more, oil is highly toxic. Tourism to the entire area hurt bad. The gulf stream is expected to carry the oil spill around all of florida, likely killing the florida keys coral reef and all the wildlife there. then up the east coast:( this isnt a area or regional disaster this is a world ecological and fiancial disaster..........

now take the already sucky US economy. Cant you see whats about to happen?

espically if it takes 3 months to stop the leak?

how about ALL the people who depend on fishing and tourism for a living. Not just the actual fishermen but the people who process pack and sell the fish. how about the beachfront hotels that will be vacant? restaurants closed. who wants to visit a stinky beach covered in oil residue?

do you think the USA can afford such costs, espically at this time?

Reply to
hallerb

The messiah will fix it as he has done with everything else

Reply to
ChairMan

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

... What are you smokin' now, haller...BP _prints_ money. They'll never notice it more than a short while.

The thing that will cause far more economic damage will be the overreaction of the current Administration pandering to the masses to "do something" and create "change" -- ie, look to see attempts to add excessive regulation and nationalization-like policies.

--

Reply to
dpb

By increasing taxes on the rich.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the

I see a lot of jobs in the field of oil spill cleanup being created.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm surprised that no one has blamed it on George Bush. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the

Hey, I've been to the Louisiana beaches, many times over the last 20 years or so. Even before the hurricanes, they were dirty and nasty, and I saw few if any signs of real tourism. Just people bringing their kids from the first solid ground one parish in, on day trips, to 'see the Gulf'.

(I own property in Louisiana. I'm allowed to diss the place.)

Reply to
aemeijers

Boy, you sure assume a lot of facts not in evidence.

  1. There has been no finding that BP was in any way to blame. The whole thing could have been due to circumstances beyond the control of BP: a. The original fire could have been an act of terrorism*. b. There could have been a collision involving a submarine. c. The blow-out preventer valves could have been defective**. d. A lightning-strike could have caused the original fire.

  1. Even IF BP is found to some degree liable, they have insurance for this sort of thing.

---------

  • An oil rig is a "soft" target. They are not protected and extremely vulnerable. In the current case, the whole business could have been pulled off by a handful (as few as one) eco- or Muslim terrorists.

** A blowout preventer is a device attached to the wellhead at the sea floor. It contains at least two sub-devices used to stop the flow of fluids or gas. One sub-device is almost always a large valve - like a faucet - that is operated both remotely and manually. Another type of sub-device is a honkin' big hydraulic press that crimps the pipe, squeezing it shut.

It is extremely odd that the blowout-preventer cannot be used to stop the flow of oil. By standard and law they are tested frequently.

Reply to
HeyBub

Obomba caused it to get our minds off of health care. (GRIN) ww

Reply to
WW

Why can't they use one of the subs that was used to probe the Titanic wreck? They can take people down to great depths.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

HeyBub wrote: ...

Doesn't seem particularly odd to me at all...

It clearly didn't completely close before losing command signal from the ground (fractional seconds). How nearly closed it is is anybody's guess except for some who actually know what wellhead pressure, etc., is, that could estimate an unobstructed flow rate.

Now it's got the damage from the surface and that there's nolonger any support for a mile of pipe that can't be undamaged not to mention where ever the platform debris landed it probably makes getting access to the area w/ the ROVs difficult at best if not impossible.

--

Reply to
dpb

No no no, it was George Bush and Dick Cheney. Don't dis da Messiah, he be dun gonna save all y'all!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The ROVs used in off-shore oil/gas fields are specialty items. Built for various tasks. I don't think they need a manned unit, as they can see the leaks from the operator's monitor on the ship.

Reply to
Oren

The BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the

Seriously. You haven't killfiled all of the above idiots yet? Really?

Reply to
tmclone