OT: Costco Connection Magazine - Bees in peril

The Costco Connection magazine arrived in the mail yesterday. The cover story is about honey bees and their plight.

For anyone interested, here is a link.

Stormin' Norman

Costco Connection online Canadian version - link below -

no mention of honey bees in the index.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The article is only half scare-tactic-bullshit . Yes , there are problems . No , honeybees (apis mellifera mellifera) are not in danger of extinction . The big problem with the almond pollinators is that hives come from all over the country . They then share everything , including varroa mites , nosema , and other diseases and pests . Which they then take home with them . Thankfully , there are only a couple of beekeepers in this area that take their hives to other places to pollinate . Even better , they live too far away to share with my apiary . My bees are bred for varroa resistance , I use NOTHING in my hives that the bees don't put there . From one colony purchased in 2013 I now have 7 , and could have more if I hadn't concentrated on honey production last year . This year I had the resources to make 3 new colonies and still harvest honey for sale . Next year , who knows !

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What is your point?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

He knows more about bees than you do.

Reply to
redzap78

Right, but did you try the link above? Page 36 about bees.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One of our neighbors has between 100 - 150 bee hives and has been shipping his hives off to growers of different crops for many years. I will ask his opinion of the article.

Every couple of years we end up with a large group or two of bees hanging in our avocado trees or from the outside of the barn. I give him a call and he comes over and does his thing to gather them and take them home. He never wears any kind of bee protection, he talks to them like a bee whisperer, it is very impressive.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Well - thanks for asking - I thought it was obvious - USA Costco Connection is fake news ... whereas .. Canuck Costco Connection is all lightnes and good . ps : there are no killer bees in Canada - Canadian snipers pick them off at the Mexico border. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I see you Canadians continue to distill powerful whiskey........

Reply to
Stormin' Norman