OT cooking? A cheap prime cut vs. an expensive choice cut

You're probably right. Meanwhile I went two days ago to the slaugherhouse near me. I drove in back and saw their cattle pens, which I couldn't see with satellite view because they all have roofs.

I asked, Is this prime?, and he said, "No, high choice. Prime goes to restaurants"

So why did I think it would be prime? Their webpage shows the USDA Prime logo and says "[Company Name] Prime Beef is one of the most sought after meals in the US and abroad", and "[Company Name] Prime Beef is hand selected at the upper end of the Choice spectrum with a 9-step process.

The last sentence above is their out. Their company name prime beef is choice!!! I don't care if it's 9 steps or 100.

But I bought 2 pieces, have eaten one, and it is very good. I haven't decided if it's better than the supermarket. Plus there is still a chance for Prime. There seems to be occasional Prime beef for sale at one of the supermarket chains, esp maybe in Phoenix Maryland out beyond the reservoir, where some of the rich people live. When the weather is warm and I'll enjoy going for a drive (with the top down), I'll call and see if they have prime steaks. Hmmm. Maybe I should go in the winter when the meat will stay cold in the trunk, and I can look at other things when I'm out there.

They have polo matches nearby and I've never been to one. But not in the winter.

Opening Day is Friday, June

2nd at 6pm $20/car General Admission will be sold at the entrance gate.
Reply to
micky

I found another page of their page that is encouraging. It's not just "steps", it's standards:

They call it Treuth Reserve:

Treuth Reserve Beef is hand selected at the upper end of Choice spectrum with abundant marbling and a true tenderness to the cut. As our signature box beef, we take great pride in the consistency of our product from size to quality by following a rigid 9 step process that determines Treuth Reserve.

As an outcome to our beef program, Treuth Reserve is as close to Prime Beef as Choice Beef will allow.

The criteria in which we take:

1 • 85% Solid Black hair coat 2 • High abundance of fine textured marbling 3 • 10-16 inch rib eye 4 • Bright red color 5 • Little to none large fat veins 6 • Free of capillary ruptures 7 • Under 30 months of age 8 • White fat covering under 1 inch 9 • No ossification of bone structure

They get 4.8 stars on 266 votes, so customers are satisfied. ---

Reply to
micky