OT. Cattle guards

Ranchers and farmers know about these but for the benefit of city guys:

My parent's neighbors had a couple of the the actual steel version. Horses walked right over them if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This is very helpful. I thought cattle guards were cattle in uniform with a handgun or rifle standing next to a little guard house. (I guess if they're cattle, the guard house would have to be bigger than normal.)

Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Reply to
micky

I was in the middle of nowhere behind a BMW, iirc,and we were rolling along at 75 or so. Suddenly the brake lights on the Bimmer go on and the car rapidly slows with no obstacle in sight. Seems the driver was braking for a painted cattle guard. Must have been a city slicker. Around here we don't slow down for real cattle guards.

I do hate walking across the damn things though. It never happened to me but some people have managed to slip a foot through between the bars.

Reply to
rbowman

Dean Hoffman snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net wrote

Fascinating to watch these bullock teams being broken up and loaded into trucks. They quite literally have very long runs of just string which is used to keep them from straying from the path between the cattle yards and the loading ramp at the back of the trucks. I'll video it next month.

Rod Speed

Actually, I already knew about cattle guards. There are a lot of them in the USA, even in the east, and I've seen them and figured out what they were, or someone told me first but I would have figured it out.

We never actually said that when I was little, or ever. But I did hear it when I was 30yo or more.

Reply to
micky

I'd be interested in that. I don't think Temple Grandin knows about string.

Reply to
micky

I bet she does, but it doesn't get used in cattle yards. only when you need a temporary run between the yards and the loading ramp with the truck a long way from the yards.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I would've thought there would be at least a few pictures like this

There aren't many in eastern Nebraska. I can't think of any still around actually. Guys are just raising crops and no critters in most cases. Ranches are in north central Nebraska, in the Sandhills. Feedlots here but no ranches.

I guess that was part of some kid's game from long ago. One reason they were lean and mean back then.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What I shoudl have said is that she doesn't write about string or talk about it when I've read her or seen video of her.

Reply to
micky

Now I have to pay more attention to this too. They do have some cattle around here but I don't know if any could make it to the road for other reasons. Maybe it was years ago. Or maybe it was Texas. It's not so darn hot anymore and I'll go for a drive in the country.

Right.

Reply to
micky