(OT) Can Blue Ray disks be played on a DVD player

Play it fast. That only works today.

Reply to
hah

This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!

Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

I've never owned a blue ray disk, or blue ray player, but if I was to get a Blue Ray disk, will it play on a player made for regular DVDs? I really dont have a need for blue ray, since my tv is just a plain old CRT set, and as far as I know, Blye Ray only applies to HDTV sets. Besides that, DVD is plenty fine for me.

And while I'm asking this, does this work in reverse, meaning does a Blue Ray player also play regular DVDs?

Reply to
generic

Perhaps in anticipation of this very question, they usually include a DVD with a down-sampled version of the same movie in the box with a Bluray disk. It is probably cheaper for the studios to just give you another disk for free than to tie up their customer service lines trying to explain why Bluray would not work in a DVD player. But the short answer is no. Bluray won't play in a DVD player. Other than the size of the disk, everything else is different, even the color of the laser that reads it.

That usually works just fine.

Reply to
passerby

A Blue Ray player should play a regular DVD but a DVD player will not play a Blue Ray disk. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now that you've mentioned both eBay and 'cheap' in the same sentence, I have serious doubts that he does include a free DVD version of the movie. I would rather look for a seller that simply has the DVD that you need instead of a Bluray. Check Amazon, too - be sure to check out the "More Buying Choices" on the right hand side.

Reply to
passerby

That's what I suspected, but wanted to be sure. I didn't know that the blue ray movie also have a regular DVD in the case. That would make sense. I asked this because a movie I am looking for was on ebay cheap, but is blue ray. I'll have to ask the seller to find out if it has the regular DVD too, to make sure I can use it.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
generic

No. A BR player will however play standard disks..

Reply to
harry

And don't buy PAL, like I did. Had to play it on the computer.

Reply to
micky

The only reason I even looked at it was because it was cheaper than the DVD version, which I thought was odd. I know in the stores the blue ray is about twice the cost of DVD. Personally, I wouldn't pay the store price. Even on a HDTV, I can barely notice any difference.

Reply to
generic