OT, but about cars. Is this true?

I haven't read Snopes but from the quotes in this thread it appears it doesn't go far enough:

The truth about CC operation:

The system senses speed. It will have a detector of some sort on a rotating part where the rpm of the part equates to wheel speed and thus mph. Used to be a magnet on the drive shaft - don't know where it is now, or what is used.

The system will do all in its power to maintain that part at that set rpm.

Entering aquaplane all the system knows is that the part suddenly increased rpm and manipulates the throttle to slow it down to the set point, e.g., it will maintain that set rpm come hell or high water unless something turns it off or the car crashes.

Thus the car "cannot take off like an airplane". Okay, that is about the Snopes part.

Now. Why would anyone thing the car "takes off like...."

Simple. unless you are going downhill when it aquaplenes, the car will _slow_ by some amount but the wheels will still be going at the set speed. Car continues to slow a bit until traction is restored. Thus you have the car going one speed but the wheels something faster.

Now just what happens when traction suddenly reappears?

CC opens to speed the car back up to the set point. The acceleration can range from slight to WOT. Depending on how much the car slowed during the episode it can easily give the sensation of "taking off like....". Thus it won't "take off...." but you can get that sensation.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

LMMFAO!! OVER a million accident free miles on my record. how's your's?

S. Barker

You're right!

But I don't think its criticism goes far enough. It spends a lot of time saying not to use cruise on wet roads, and says that whoever wrote this in the first place didn't understand cruise, but barely addresses the false statements in the post I quoted.

But thanks, and thanks to all who replied.

BTW, I live in Baltimore, but if I have to go more than 15 miles on the xway and it's not crowded, I'm likely to use cruise. Lulling me hasn't been a problem. I feel I can give even more attention to the road.

I liked the GM cruise better when all the controls were on the turn signal, and the Chrysler cruise less when they are on the center of the steering wheel. We'll see what the next car has.

I have had some accidents over the last 44 years, but none have been at cruise speeds. All have been fender benders at low speeds. I guess that's why I'm alive to type this.

Reply to
mm

Maybe I didn't get that far.

That would only be after it lights its afterburners.

Reply to
mm

=46rom your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.

Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_ traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

From your replies in this thread I would guess you are a geezer or at least a 'nanny'. You apparently think that _your_ beliefs should be imposed on everybody and I'll bet given the tone of your posts, you would advocate 55 mph limits everyplace, 25 withing the incorporated limits of any town no matter what the road is like, school zone resdtrictions at 1 a.m. etc.

Just to inject a bit of reality into your life. I use CC in _light_ traffic so I can pay attention to what is going on around me vice having to keep checking the speedo. You might try it sometimes.

Harry K

=================

I'm 54, and I'm a nanny to the exact same extent that you are.

And, you just told me you have trouble with multitasking. That's not a good disability for a driver to have.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Tony Hwang wrote: ...

But outside of religious miracles, things that defy basic physics don't...

The _indication_ of higher odometer speed can be true, but that's not at all the same thing as actual higher ground speed. The sensation of acceleration described by accident victims may well be true, but it's the change in direction in virtually all cases more than the change in actual speed that is the cause of their feeling of acceleration.

That in virtually all circumstances the loss of traction will result in decreased input force to the road prevents speedup on level terrain is simply a force balance.

--

Reply to
dpb

My father's instructions were simpler; he said to drive as if 3/4 of the drivers were crazy and the other 1/4 were homicidal. It's worked for 68 years ;)

nick hull