OT Big increase in the number of drugstores

I think he is talking about the whole store full of overpriced stuff they make you walk past to get that prescription. The drug counter is always in the back of the store, just like milk at the grocery store.

Reply to
gfretwell

There is nothing new there. Forty years ago Dart Drug in DC opened a Home Depot type store because it was the only thing they didn't sell at their regular WalMart style "drug" stores. Around here CVS and Walgreens is where you go to buy beer and wine after the grocery store closes. Some Walgreens also have hard liquor.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had back pain, saw an orthopedist, he took x-rays, told me I had some arthritis. That was more than 20 years ago.

Soon after I put in a patio and deck, started running, swimming, and now visit the gym regularly.

No pain since the patio and deck. A few months from turning 74.

There is a miracle cure, it's called hard work.

Oh, yeah, don't overeat. If you go to a restaurant and finish the meal, you are overeating.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You seem to be saying that it was more the exercise than the weight??

And that even if your weight had been right, without the exercise, you think you'd still have the back pain??

Reply to
micky

Well, duh. I thought everybody knew that.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

MAybe not where you are, but it's different here and seems to be different wherever I've traveled. Forty years ago drug stores were mostly mom and pop, smaller and they didn't have many of the things that they have today, eg wide assortment of food, frozen foods, soups, prepared foods, etc. Today they are much bigger, they are mostly chains, more of them and they are full of food and other products.

Forty years ago Dart Drug in DC opened a

Reply to
trader_4

A friend of a friend owned a mom & pop drugstore about 40 years ago. He made a living, but he was made an offer he could not refuse. One of the chains offered to buy him out and they would close the store, but they also offered him a job at the chain store that was a huge increase over what he was making and working less hours. He could not lock the store and turn out the lights fast enough.

IIRC it is five years, maybe six now, of schooling to become a pharmacist but they do make a good wage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Publix stores have a list of free medications and a list of $7.50 for 90 days. No insurance needed, just a prescription.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's a symbiotic relationship between the doctors, pharmaceutical and insurance companies. Raising prices helps all of them make more money.

Reply to
Bob Eff

I've had blood tests denied by Medicare but it was simple/stupid doctor mistake in not putting down the right code. My brother had this problem a week or two ago and I told him to get the doctor to correct it which he did and it got corrected.

My prescription plan is through CVS and they tell me that they are cheapest and I get all my stuff by mail order from them. Occasionally I get a single shot drug like an antibiotic and I go to a closer Rite Aid pharmacy. I got one like that costing $20 at Rite Aid with refills if needed. CVS picked up on this and asked if I wanted it transferred to them as the supplier and wanted $27 for a refill. So much for that.

A couple of years ago CVS had a copay each of $17 for two drugs I could get at Walmart for $10 each. I went outside their plan and got them from Walmart. Now copay is dropped and they are back with CVS.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

me considerably on the "co-pay" if I use that pharmacy - it is a nation-wide "online" pharmacy.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

America's "drug of choice"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Absolutely. I have a few extra pounds on me, but it is keeping moving that keeps the back working.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree I had something in my wrists that got diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis by elimination, it wasn't anything else they could find (X rays, blood tests, MRIs, and drawing fluids from the joints) They wanted me to take Methotrexate. One quick look at the black box warning on those pills and they went in the trash. The guy then suggested a dose pack of Prednisone and physical therapy. One session of the woman having me do exactly what they had been telling my not to do for 9 months and I was on the road to recovery. Throw away all of those braces and splits and exercise the joints. I put a small addition on the house, starting the next day and in 2 weeks I was cured. Nothing there but hard work, lifting 3x12 beams, setting posts and swinging a hammer. It hurt like a son of a bitch for a while but I got better.

A lot of that depends on how many calories you burn and what you order. I am within 10 pounds of the same weight I was in boot camp in

1965.
Reply to
gfretwell

I am not sure when the last time was that I saw a mom and p[op pharmacy except for the occasional "compounding pharmacy" that only sells drugs and specialty medical supplies. There may be a half dozen in this whole county. In DC Peoples Drug and Drug Fair had run virtually all of the mom and pops out of business in the 50s. Dart Drug ran both of them out of business in the 70s. The exceptions may have been down in the ghetto where chains feared to tread.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup that is a little secret you need to ask for. They will happily fill those prescriptions with your insurance, pocketing that insurance money plus your co pay. There are also some drugs they sell cheaper than the co pay but, again, you need to ask.

Reply to
gfretwell

My weight has always been reasonable. My lifetime high was 187, now I'm

170. To give that context, I'm 5'8".

My comment about weight was directed to the average fatty I see walking around. Seems to me, if you exercise more but still weigh in at 250, you're likely to have pain.

In my case I attribute the aches and pains going away to being more active.

My weight wasn't too bad, I just got lazy. I would walk, but wouldn't run because my feet hurt. Funny, I started running and my feet stopped hurting.

My gym has a scale that measures body fat, in 8 months I've gone from

21% to 17%.

Sorry to be preaching, it's an affliction that most exercisers develop.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Throw lawyers in there and you get the whole picture. For every "wonder drug" they come out with there is some ambulance chaser on TV asking if you ever had a bad reaction to it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Down here they are warning that these mail order drugs may be sitting days in un air conditioned trucks or warehouses and in your mail box baking in the sun all day. A lot of drugs get degraded from that.

Reply to
gfretwell

My insurance has a mail order facility. I take 2 medications to lower cholesterol. Both free. Plus I get 90 days worth instead of 30 at a time. The mail order stuff if available is worth looking into.

Reply to
Dan Espen