OT Big Brother is watching us on Facebook

I mentioned one of my crowns fell out on Facebook yesterday and today I'm getting "affordable dentist" ads on Facebook. I find that a little creepy.

Reply to
gonjah

And thus today's posting from the Fake AP Stylebook takes on even more interest: Fake AP Stylebook It is no longer necessary to write new stories about Facebook privacy issues. Just change the dates.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Welcome to the internet!

The unstated goal of Facebook and other social sites is to mine user data. That's what gives them monetary value; targeted advertising.

Well, not necessarily mine, more like walk around and pick it up. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

if you're not paying for the service, then YOU are the product.

Reply to
chaniarts

Maybe pig latin?

Reply to
gonjah

Hellooooo... That's the entire point behind Facebook. You provide data about yourself to Facebook; Facebook provides it to its customers, who will then use it to pitch products and services to you, or just to find out more about you. You aren't Facebook's customer, you are its product.

I attended a presentation on forensic data recovery services yesterday. The presenter owns his own company, and is a former Secret Service agent who performs investigations and retrieves data from devices and online sources in the course of his work. He was quite emphatic about the foolishness of sharing personal information on the internet, because it can and sometimes will be used against you - and you have no control over how it will be used, nor do you know who will be using it.

He made the same point about smartphones and similar devices and apps

- they quietly collect data as you use them, and you most likely have no idea what they're collecting, who that information is being shared with, and what they could do with it. Of course, as he noted, the tendency of people to use these products provides him with lots of data and even handy timelines to provide to his clients or law enforcement, or to testify about in court cases.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

One of the many down sides:

The feds are after us to keep all personal medical conditions private (HIPAA) and big business is doing everything it can to expose us.

Reply to
gonjah

Gmail (computers) read all the email and structure the ads based on what they find. This is not a new concept. It's how you pay for your 'free' service...

Reply to
AJL

This is how my computer deals with Fecesbook:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 error.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 static.ak.facebook.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 api.facebook.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.net 127.0.0.1 ssl.connect.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 api-read.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 ads.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 ads.ak.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 creative.ak.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 fbcdn.com 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 www-10-05-prn1.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 pixel.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 s-static.ak.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 s-static.ak.fbcdn.net

Fecesbook: Social Network for Gut Bacteria

Reply to
Home Guy

Affordable dentist? Everyone knows what Facebook is really about but an affordable dentist? Crowns new and used, teeth pulled 10 dollars with anesthetic 5 dollars without.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Which is why I never have and never will join social networking sites like that.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to post their life to the public. They obviously believe others really care.

If you can't use email to reach me, then you're not reaching me.

Reply to
Meanie

I commend for your consideration the book: "What do you care what other people think" by Richard Feynman. Here's a sample:

Ring-ring Feynman: "Hello" Caller: "Is this Dr. Feynman?" Feynman: "Yes." Caller: "Dr Richard P. Feynman?" Feynman: "(wearily) Yes." Caller: "Dr. Feynman, my name is Margaret Tibbets. I am the United States Ambassador to the Court of King Olav V of Norway. It is my distinct pleasure to inform you that you have been awarded the 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics!" Feynman: "Do you know what the hell time it is in California?" Caller: "Er... no." Feynman: "It is three o'clock in the goddamn morning. Call back after nine!" (click) Caller: ???

Reply to
HeyBub

If the service is "free", then YOU are the product. That's how they monitize it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:zcmdnXjSuLo_5T_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Facebook, Twitter and the like are sooooooo stupid.

Reply to
Earl

I used to think the same thing but I've been keeping up with old friends and I get daily updates on my grand-kids.

Reply to
gonjah

You can do the same thing with plain old email. But you have to know how to use the email software. Some people thing they need to type a separate email to each person. WRONG! You can make a mailing list for family members, another for old friends, and another for the guys and gals at work. (or anything else). Then send the same typed message along with photos to the whole list. All of them will get it, and can reply to the whole list or just to the sender. It takes a little time to create the lists. After that it's no different than posting to FB as far as effort. But it's private. You wount have some child molestor drooling over your children, or some moron shoving their political views or religion up your ass, and you wont have some friend of a friend or a friend whining because you used the F-word, or any of the other losers you see on FB, plus no ads or harvesting your data to use against you.

Anyone thatr knows anything about how to actually use their software can do this. FB is intended for the lazy, computer illiterate loser who dont have any brains, nor understands just how harmful FB really is. Of course it's also a fad for the kids. "Because I use it, you have to use it too" (mentality). I can only hope that this fad dies a quick death. But first the word needs to get out how destructive FB really is, and make it "uncool" to use. Peer pressure can work in both ways......

Reply to
tangerine3

It may have some uses like that, but you have to be aware of the down side, such as corporate America is watching you. Facebook is also becoming a large factor in divorces also. Too many people keeping up with "old friends" and even meeting new ones.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Would you mind sharing the names of these Firefox add-ons that block FB and Twitter? Thanks.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

I'm considering removing my FB account now. :(

You're right. This is BS.

Reply to
gonjah

JavaScript, Adobe Flash and M$ Silverlight are the top tools used on the internet to harm you. If you disable these technologies, you virtually neuter the bad guys.

By default, NoScript disables them all but allows you to selectively turn them on for sites, like your bank, that you trust.

diy savant