OT: Auto Shopping

As I explained briefly below, this car will be a summer ride as I will keep my other Civic for winter, the newer Civic for summer and that will still be limited use due to the fact I ride a motorcycle whenever I can. Therefore, my overall maintenance cost will be very minimal as long as I don't pick a lemon.

Reply to
Meanie

I came across these yesterday with quick glances while at work but didn't view their full stats yet. I just copied the URL and sent to my home email for viewing. I'll get to them shortly and see if there's a small gem.

Meanie

Four men rode in a car: a mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a computer engineer.

The car stalled out.

The mechanical engineer said, "It must be the pistons; let's repair them and be on our way."

The electrical engineer said, "It has to be the spark plugs; we'll replace them and be ready to roll in no time at all."

The chemical engineer said. "No, it's got to be bad gas; we'll flush the system and be on our way."

They turned to the computer engineer. "What do you think we should do?" they asked.

The computer engineer shrugged and said, "Let's get out of the car, close the doors, then get back in and try restarting it."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes even a properly repaired accident car can be a good deal. Emphasis on "properly". It doesn't take much for an insurance co to write off a relatively new car.

For your purposes a vehicle with high mileage for the year - like a 3 year old car with 100,000km on it, can be a good deal because the price is lower and you'll not live long enough, with your driving patterns, to put on another 100,000. A 3 year old car with 100,000 on it will be a highway car, in all probability, and 100,000 highway km is about the same as 25,000 ciy km, as far as vehicle wear is concerned. Many still look like new at that point in their life.

Reply to
clare

Ah, the Prince of Darkness... Brit cars provided me with hours of amusement. Another favorite was standing there with a length of hose stuck in your ear trying to get the SUs to all hum the same tune. They made sophisticated synchronizers but I was strictly of the poor boy shade tree school. Literally. I pulled more than one engine using the backyard maple tree and a come along.

Reply to
rbowman

At one point in my life I spent over 100,000 miles a year in a Volvo White truck. That set a remarkably low bar for my definition of creature comforts. The bikes don't help either. Spending some time going down I90 at 80 mph on a DR650 with DOT knobbies redefines road noise and vibration.

Reply to
rbowman

My father came of age during the Model T era and regarded everything but a heater as a frill. Toward the end of his life it was fun shopping for a new car with him. He didn't have any brand loyalty as long as the car had a manual transmission, no radio, no power brakes, no power steering, and doors. After he died and my mother went looking for a new car I had quite a time convincing her she could drive an automatic. She'd only been driving since the 1920's and never had driven one. She rapidly became a fan, particularly of power steering.

The Yaris is Toyota's 'entry' car but the last one I bought has A/C, ABS, stability control, and traction control and none of those were options. The AT was an option but I bought it the same month Japan tried to turn itself into a glowing heap of nuclear waste so I took what I could get.

Reply to
rbowman

Meanie posted for all of us...

Look on cable channel Velocity. The have shows such as Dallas Card Sharks & Wheeler Dealers, etc. Dealers buying from auction.

My opinion is that you have to be educated on each brands faults. They all have them. Some people like hoop-ties while others like newer.

Reply to
Tekkie®