OT a little more BP

Remmber my complaint a month or two ago about the commercial with the black guy, who said, "We won't do things perfect every time."

They took off that commercial, I figured, because people complained they never do anything perfect. At the very least everyone knows they don't do things perfect every time. There's no need to say it.

But in the last two weeks, they now have a white guy who says "We may not be perfect every time." That's worse. "We may not be." Now they're not even sure that sometimes they're not perfetd.

I think they're hoping evryone forgot everthing they did wrong.

Reply to
mm

BP's done a great job of demonstrating a little rule of mine: Some accidents are so nasty that they should never be allowed to happen. If they do happen, it's because someone totally didn't give a damn, and that's just a half a step from meaning the mishap was intentional. Too bad the law doesn't see things this way.

Sort of like leaving a child in a hot car until he/she dies.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think it does to a large extent. What you desribed was "gross negilgence" The civil penalties are either different from negligence, or they exist when the other party is negligent too (or something like that.)

But you remind me of another point. The 20 billion dollars BP agreed to pay was to be paid in yearly 4 billion dollar payments, for 5 years. But not even the first payment has been made, and the guy who went down there to disburse the money** has no money to disburse -- they haven't paid any -- and people are still losing their homes and businesses. **the one who had done the WTCenter disbursing and the families were very satisfied with how he had done it)

Reply to
mm

I'm with you. If they're going on TV before millions of people at the very least they could use proper English.

A thing may be "perfect" (an adjective), but something is done "perfectly" (an adverb). "We will perfectly make a perfect thing."

In addition to engineers and safety experts, BP needs copywriters.

Reply to
HeyBub

And it's a "British" Petroleum. Wankers!

Reply to
JimT

If I drove recklessly and kill someone I would go to jail for manslaughter. If a CEO drives his company recklessly and kills someone he goes on to retire and start his own business.

Reply to
Molly Brown

If I drove recklessly and kill someone I would go to jail for manslaughter. If a CEO drives his company recklessly and kills someone he goes on to retire and start his own business.

=====

You forgot..."....takes a generous severance,...."

Reply to
JimT

That was almost surely my mistake. I noticed it but didn't want to put more effort into the post.

Reply to
mm

Sorry. They changed their name sometime back. There is no "British Petroleum".

Reply to
HeyBub

They're considering changing back to Amoco, however, or whatever Standard Oil branch they once merged with.

Reply to
mm

The intials of "BP" BP Global are taken from their former name. They only shortened it.

I'm surprised I have to point this out. "B" for British and "P" for Petroleum. Get it? Do you need further explaination?

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Their pretty new trademark has me convinced that they're an excellent company. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And SPAM stands for SPiced hAM. But there is no product on the shelves at your local A&P (which stands for Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company) called "Spiced Ham."

There is no company called "British Petroleum."

Reply to
HeyBub

That's true. In reruns lf L.A. Law, they're calling it El Pueblo Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula Law.

Reply to
mm

Wrong. He should have said "perfectly". Adverb modiifying the verb "to do".

Oh, I thought they complained because of the grammatical error

=A0At the very least everyone knows they

Grammatically correct. Adjective modifying the pronoun "we".

=A0That's worse. =A0"We may not be." =A0Now

Reply to
Higgs Boson