Opinions on DeWalt DW861W 4-1/2" Wet Saw .vs. Wet Table Saw

I am about to start a few tile projects in my house-- one entry way, two small bathrooms and a tile shower. Since renting a wet saw is so expensive I have decided to buy one. However, there is a large price range. Based on the amount of tiling I will be doing, I had originally thought I'd just by one of the low end Workforce brand $90.00 wet saws at Home Depot.

While browsing around, I found this Dewalt saw. For those of you not familiar with it, this saw is like a small circular saw with a hose attached rather than the normal wet saw that is like a table saw with a water pan.

Does anyone have any experience with this saw? What would be the disadvantages for this type .vs. the table type saw? Here is a link:

Thanks. Bill

Reply to
mcbill20

A friend of mine bought one of those junk saws at the Borg years ago and it is still going strong. It has done most of the tile in his house, MIL's house, my old house, and the house I am currently in. Had to replace the blade once.

The saw you linked to is for cutting bigger things like stone for steps or stuff that is already installed (like when you have to trim a tile floor because the new tub is a little bit bigger). You would a difficult time using it to cut tile prior to installation.

Go with the cheapo from the depot, they are great for occasional use and then lending to others when you are done.

Reply to
RayV

I use a 10,000 rpm hand held grinder with a $60 dry-cut diamond blade to cut porcelain tile. For ceramic tile you can use a $25 dry-cut diamond blade.

My 2 1/2 HP 130 pound wet saw collects dust in my shop.

You must be somewhat handy and skillful to do this, as it can be dangerous if you are not very careful, but it is SO much easier to do it this way.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

I bought one of the cheapies (similar to the Workforce one I'm sure). It has worked well for tile as thick as 1" saltillo. There's no reason to spend $180 on a saw to do "one entry way, two small bathrooms, and a tile shower". You're probably talking under 100 cuts total. If you're set on spending that kind of money, then you could get a true wet saw from HF

. I bought one to cut firebrick and pumice brick while building a kiva fireplace. It worked very well. Next up is laying brick pavers in my courtyard etc.... I haven't used it for tile but can't imagine it wouldn't work fine. I still think it's way overkill for a few rooms worth of tile but it's your money..... Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson