Ontel Handy Heater

This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses

400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit. Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Is it this unit ?

.. that plugs directly into the receptacle ? or something that actualy has a power cord ? The unit in this link looks like a total piece of crap, to me - for a variety of reasons John T.

hubops

If you have ruled-out a radient heater, as several people suggested in the previous thread - and are set-on an electric heater - why not one like this :

It has a 6 ft power cord ; high & low heat settings ; and a couple safety features - all for approx. the same money as the Ontel Handy Heater ..

John T.

hubops

The bigger danger is an unattended plug-in space heater.

Reply to
kingfish

Might be that the lost 100 watts are for a fan and for the electronic temperature control. Hey, heat is heat! Also, in the old days, maybe only 35 years ago, many new houses didn't have a dedicated circuit for the fridge. In my old house, built in 1971, there were 2 20A circuits in the kitchen. The fridge was on one, but there were other outlets on that circuit as well.

Reply to
Art Todesco

My wiring is strange in parts. House is 45 years old. I don't know how many circuits in the kitchen not including electric range on its own circuit. When I got a generator years ago and a transfer box, they were supposed to include the refrigerator but missed it and I need to run a cord from an active circuit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Wife's portable heaters are 1,500 watts. Plugged into other parts of the house have tripped breaker.

I got her an air fryer for Christmas. She loves it and will not turn on the portable heater in the kitchen when in use. She was worried about small TV there but I pointed out that it only uses 40 watts.

People should understand power requirements of appliances and also recognize that power spikes are needed to start electric motors and too much load can trip breakers.

Reply to
invalid unparseable
[snip]

That reminds me of some safety instructions I heard once that said prevent overloads by never plugging more than 2 things into a receptacle, as if it didn't matter whether they were 2 little LED nightlights or 2 1500W heaters.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd