One more post about the new kitchen

So, I've been fabricating supports out of 1/2 x 3/4 cold rolled steel bars in which I've drilled holes every inch along the length. A bracket on the underside of each shelf will spring-load pegs into these brackets (two on each side) so the shelf won't be able to move up, down or in/out until they are retracted.

Where did you get the spring-loaded pins, that's a fantastic idea and those pins could be used in many places?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Originally, I considered using bullet catch's as they could be installed as "blind" hardware. But, they won't support the load (weight) -- a natural consequence of their design!

You also need a way of "retracting" the pins in order to remove/relocate the shelf. I.e., AS IF there was a little "lever" on the pin that you could grasp to pull the pin back out of the hole in the support.

Rather than looking for something special/custom, I just opted to use latch bolts:

Place shelf in position (this is actually difficult because the shelves are pretty heavy and you have ANOTHER shelf -- with stuff on it -- below the shelf you are installing); slip one bolt out into its mating hole in the upright support; move to the diagonally opposing bolt and engage it with its support; then find the other bolts and finish up.

You can also use "security bolts" for doors (the sort that slide into the door frame to hold the top and bottom of a door in place). These are available in concealable forms (i.e., you'd embed them *in* the sides of the shelves). But, that adds a lot of cost and makes the shelves thicker to conceal the bolts.

You also have to consider how you will be fabricating the supports. E.g., if the bolt you choose has a square profile, how are you going to "perforate" the support with all these SQUARE holes?? :-(

Reply to
Don Y

I like that! At hand but not cluttered looking. You keep mustard there? ;o) I hate digging through cupboards or drawers.... I have everything in my pretty-small kitchen at hand, and nothing that has to be removed to get something else. Cookware is hanging on a rod above the kitchen sink...not so low it hits me in the head. I don't have to move more than about 3' to cook, 'cept to take a smoke break.

Reply to
Norminn

Looks like a mustard jar but it's actually a jar of honey. The guy who helped us with the kitchen left it with us to use when he has coffee.

The kitchen is the most efficient it's ever been.

My wife has invited a small crowd of people over for dinner and drinks tonight.

Reply to
philo

Big walk thru or see thru pantry is good. Our kitchen island is not fixed in one location. It is kinda mobile we can move it if needed without any problem. Wine racks are converted to storage drawers from island. Did not live long enough in a house to do any kinda rework. We just designed/custom built new house in new neighborhood. After 5 times no more, at 75 I don't feel like having another house built. Downtown condo is sold. Will sell this house when time comes and moving out to cabin for good. Our cabin is near a town, so hospital is close by for an emergency. I have a location code for medvac helicopter landing at my cabin too in case.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

philo posted for all of us...

Not to be critical because I know that I would only do worse. What is the ceiling box at the crown molding?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ha ha ha...

I made them myself can't you tell?

Quite a few people like them though.

We were going to buy them but my wife did not like the kinds they had in the store, so I just made my own by cutting a 4 x 4

I knew I'd never get the miter right as the old house is not completely square

Reply to
philo

Had the whole gang over last night including the $60,000 kitchen guy and people who had seen his kitchen...I think they were all impressed with our low-budget wonder.

One of the people there whispered to me that his wife got an inheritance and the kitchen is where the money went.

If I got a $60k inheritance, I still would have done our budget kitchen....thrown one hell of a party and taken a nice vacation...then invested the remaining $50k

BTW: One guy got drunk and spilled red wine on one the the newly upholstered kitchen chairs. Though my wife got the stain out she was not happy.

Sheesh...you get a new kitchen with a lot of people drinking and something is going to happen. This was pretty minor.

One of the women who was over actually has a video of herself setting firecrackers off on her dining room table. I somehow suspect heavy drinking was involved.

Reply to
philo

Congratulations! Though I suspect some of the husbands will start harboring ill thoughts towards you as their wives pester them with "Why can't WE (which is code for YOU) do something like that? I'm tired of this old wallpaper and we could use some new appliances..." :>

Folks have different priorities. One year, I received 48 pounds of Turkish pistachio nuts for XMAS. By far, the BEST gift!! (despite the fact that I had nothing to show for it, later)

*Or*, buy 3,000 pounds of pistachios!!!!!

Next time, make a very visible point of serving him WATER! Let others wonder why (and dare to ask!)

One wonders hat she'll be naming the newborn, come May...

Reply to
Don Y

I love pistachios...Will have to get some the next time I go to the store.

Once in California a bought a whole shopping bag full of them ...cheap!

He is not a wine drinker...he knocked over the red wine reaching for his bottle of Jack Daniels.

BTW: He called this morning to apologize and offer to pay for the damage... I told him...no problem...stain came out.

She is a bit crazy...even for one of my friends she is "way out there"

She would not get away with that here of course

Reply to
philo

They're crap. Buy some turkish ones. The difference is definitely worth the cost. Google "Zenobia".

Crazy can be fun.

Reply to
Don Y

philo posted for all of us...

I think I didn't phrase my question correctly. Are the corner blocks to hid e something or just a transitional treatment?

Reply to
Tekkie®