On space heaters

My grandparents lived in a coal community, houses built by the coal company. Fireplace in every room except kitchen had coal stove. There were four rooms and outhouse. Bathing was one in the kitchen. At some point large coal furnace was installed, perhaps from the get go.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

One year I supplemented my bedroom with electric heat from oil type heater. Setting on 500 watts was enough, plus thermostat control. I'm fine with supplemental heat, except fan heaters are a problem. I also have used radiant types in living room for a nice feel. Anything blowing into the Heater or falling on, is hazardous. My brother uses three 1500 watt heaters to heat his house, which is cheaper than using his oil furnace. It's often too hot for me.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I remember half an inch of frost on the plumbing stack running up the wall in the bedroom as a kid.

Reply to
clare

"but it was a DRY cold"

Reply to
clare

  1. Pipe's already in place - it's a 1" line directly from the meter.
  2. A properly adjusted, i.e., enough oxygen, space heater does not generate CO. I grew up in a home heated exclusively by NG space heaters and there's nothing wrong with me - except for a squishy, fungating mass on my upper left leg that I've had since about the age of six.
  3. As for the 2psi service, wouldn't I have to put a regulator on all the gas appliances? That is, water heater, dryer, furnace?
Reply to
HeyBub

Nah, the kind you mean heated the ceramic inserts which radiated the heat straight out. My little heater has just a flame, much like a fireplace log lighter.

Reply to
HeyBub

That helps.

In the west, I've heard the nightly temperature referred to as "a one-dog night" or "a two-dog night." Don't think I've ever heard of "a three-dog night."

Reply to
HeyBub

When I was installing a lot of gensets in homes we got the 2psi meter installed by the gas company and the original line feeding the house got a regulator to keep it at the normal 6 to 8 inches water column pressure. We tapped off the 2psi side going to a separate regulator for the genset which needed a pressure of 11"wc to operate properly. Depending on the manufacturer's specifications, your genset or modification kit may or may not work with 6-8"wc pressure. When me and GB were doing remodels, we used 2psi as the distribution pressure and had to put a regulator on each appliance. The regulators are not that expensive and the labor cost of running smaller flexible gas lines was much less than running large diameter threaded black pipe. I believe the gasoline genset I modified for one customer used a kit that operated just fine with the standard 6-8"wc pressure and it was a 5kw portable contractor type generator with the 5gal gas tank on top. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's because you live in Texas.

Reply to
krw

They need to talk to Mike Alsup, Floyd Sneed, Danny Hutton, ChuckNedon, Cory Wells, Jimmy Greenspoon, and/or Joe Schmerle.

The term came from the Aussie Aborignals who would sleep in a hole with a dingo on cool nights, 2 on cold nights, and 3 on REALLY cold nights.

Reply to
clare

Do I really need a smiley when responding to HB about "The Three Dog Night"?

Reply to
krw

EXT-

You are absolutely correct....

I should have mentioned setting the whole house FAU to a low temp & then space heating to comfort level.

I also agree with your calculation of gas vs electric....but the calc changes if the gas is propane.

Reply to
DD_BobK