older wiring devices - flat head screws?

Hi,

started cleaning up some old brass switch and receptacle plates today in preparation for rewiring one of the bedrooms. These are the old .040" thick solid brass plates, not new hardware store ones. Anyway I test fit them on some devices and it appears that they may be resting on the mounting screws for the devices. The new receps and switches come with pan/combo head screws, I'm wondering if the old devices used in the 40's had flat head screws for mounting the devices to the box? it certainly looks like it might be advisable with these plates; at least one switch plate shows evidence of being slightly deformed by device screws in the past.

Also, what's a "standard" length for cover plate screws? I bought

6-32x1/2" brass screws but it appears that those are slightly too long for the receptacles. 3/8"?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You'll gain a tad using flat head screws. 1/2" screws should be fine. Decora plates use 1/4"

Reply to
RBM

I don't recall when the change took place. The old slotted head screws had a much flatter head.

I think they were bugle (oval ) shaped. They did in fact sit much flatter into the device ears.

Reply to
Colbyt

I think it's the only way they can make a combo screw. I prefer flat head phillips

Reply to
RBM