Old, old cast iron sink -- keep or toss?

OK, this may be more a decorating question, but I'm curious as to what the opinion here is regarding my dilemma:

I am rehabbing a two-unit apartment building that has kitchen sinks dating to the early 1900's (my guess). They are porcelain coated cast iron, Kohler, two bowls, one shallow, the other deep.

They are in decent condition, but at least need refinishing with epoxy paint to cover wear spots and rust stains.

They probably weigh about 500 pounds each.

Question: Keep 'em or toss 'em?

And if I keep 'em, will the epoxy paint the hardware store has for these projects work OK?

John

Reply to
John Gold

probalby not, i would just toss them, if you need a new counter and get a stainless steel sink, with a rental get the cheap ones... the paint at the harware stores will not make it a new sink.. in a few weeks you gonna loose the color and start all over again with the same problem... and the old sink is hard to handle as compared to the lighter new ones..

Reply to
jim

John, them old sinks are real "Gold"(pun intended) . I rehabbed my current home three years ago. It was a three apartment and I returned it to the original single family. The upstairs apartment had one of those old 300 lb sinks. It was in real rough shape. I checked around and they wanted an arm and leg to refinish it. Then I went to the local Home Depot and picked up an epoxy two part refinish kit, I sanded the rough spots, cleaned the sink with acid, wiped it clean and applied the epoxy with a cheap brush and it came out great!!! We have had it in use for over two years now and about once a month I have to wipe it down with pure Clorox as it stains easily. Fits the

1927 style of the house and best of all wife loves it. Muff

Reply to
Muff