Ok to use outlet boxes larger than required by code?

I'm adding a room in a basement and running a couple of new circuits. Since the electrical boxes are a trivial expense compared to everything else, I have purchased the largest capacity boxes to use for all my outlet and switch connections, rather than buying smaller capacity boxes where I have only a couple of connections to save a dime.

I have assumed it is against code to have a box that is too small, but fine to have one that is larger than required. Is this in fact the case?

Reply to
Dr.John

I have never had an inspector balk at a box to large; too small, yes, but never too large. Personally, I have always preferred the deeper boxes. I don't like, however, using square J boxes with mud rings. They are too much trouble when applying the wall skin, be it drywall or paneling. ____________________ Even if you are the on right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

--Will Rogers ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Perfectly legal. If you want, you can have a box custom made that you can part you car in, as long as the wires are enclosed inside. (Of course if you plan to park in there, you'll have to put a smaller box inside :) )

Reply to
opinionated