Oil suppy line distance ?

I'm in the process of abandoning my underground oil tank and want to place an above ground 275 tank in the garage.

Its about 25-30 feet from garage to boiler (Weil Mclain G0-4) and the supply line will have to run up through a drop ceiling (7ft) and back down again. Will the pump handle this without any problems ?

thanks, John

Reply to
tamiejohn

Tough one. Looping above the pump is not recommended due to air becoming trapped at high point and hard to eliminate.

Plan on a 2-pipe system. A check valve at the tank for the suction line may help. Run the return tubing down into the tank to maybe 3" of the bottom to eliminate air getting in .

7ft lift is within the range of most pumps so that's not the limiting factor.

That's a lot of exposed piping. If it gets real cold where you are, oil viscosity is a problem and so is the possibility of water content freezing.

Ask the inspector whether the lines need to be protected from physical damage.

Get some more input on this one than I have; maybe talk to the oil supplier or equip supplier.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Law will likely require removal and proper disposal of old tank...

old tanks can be a environmental hazard. leaks contaminate groundwater.

if you ever sell your home you will have to disclose the abandoned tank and the buyer would be unable to get homeowners insurance.

Reply to
hallerb

That depends on where you live.

Some locations don't consider residential heating oil tanks to be as big a threat as, for example, gas stations with leaking tanks.

One thing is for sure, sooner or later it will be someone's problem. The cost and trouble to get rid of it will only go up as time passes.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light