Oil Furnace Repair

I just got an email from my wife. The repair guy from our oil company came out to do our annual tune-up on the furnace and water heater this morning. She forwarded his ovservation that "we need a new top and new baffles, and he will order it and someone will presumably get in touch with you for an e stimate."

As I recall, the baffles spread out the heat from the burner evenly over th e boiler tubes. Not so sure what the "top" is. Hopefully not the tubes. Any thought on this so that I can be better prepared when they call?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Let me start with a nit pick. Does this heat air or water? Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. Using proper terminology helps us to help you.

If the furnace/boiler is in need of expensive parts and it more than 15 year old, it may be best (and actually cheaper) to replace it. A couple of eyars aago I replace my old oill fired boiler with a new System 2000 unit and the savings in oil are more than the cost over time.

There may stillb e rebates and tax cridits available. I was able to get a state funded loan at 0% interest and the savings are greater than the $69 loan payment. What's not to like? Oil use went down 39%. I was hoping for 30% so it is a bonus.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ame out to do our annual tune-up on the furnace and water heater this morni ng. She forwarded his ovservation that "we need a new top and new baffles, and he will order it and someone will presumably get in touch with you for an estimate."

r the boiler tubes. Not so sure what the "top" is. Hopefully not the tubes. Any thought on this so that I can be better prepared when they call?

It's a boiler. After 50 years of furnaces, I tend to refer to any big appli ance that heats a whole house as a "furnace." I'll have to check my records but I thought that we got a new one 8-10 years ago.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

You can call it anything you want, even 'Fred', but if you want the correct answers to questions, use the correct terminology. Furnaces heat air. Boilers heat water.

I had my 26 year old boiler replaced last year for a more efficient boiler. I got a Biasi B10 boiler with a Riello 40 burner, I went through the whole winter last year using only 300 gallons of oil. I usually used more than 550 gallons of oil over the winter, requiring a refill. I'm in the NE US.

Reply to
willshak

I would also recommend replacing whatever it is with a good triple pass unit. The Biasi is an excellent choice as is a Buderus. I too saved quite alot of oil in the last two years since my replacement, but I have to admit, the last two years in the NE were pretty mild. We'll see how the oil flows if we get a real freeze.

Reply to
RBM