Oil-fired boiler, power-vent, outside combustion setup

House has an oil-fired boiler with a powervent flue, and someones home-grown attempt at supplying outside air for combustion (4" flex hose that was shoved over the end of the air intake on the burner head).

If it makes sense for this to have an outside air intake for combustion, I'll have it done properly (the hose slipped off this past weekend and revealed itself for the kludge it is), but since it has a power-vented flue and is therefore sucking large amounts of indoor air through the damper and out the flue, what sense does it make to worry about the small amount of air the combustion intake is going to pull out of the house?

Or, is the power-vent flue setup done wrong as well?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Get the proper kit for whatever brand burner it is. Doesn't cost that much at a supply house...

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

But, is there any benefit to using outside air for combustion when so much inside air is being pulled through the damper?

-D

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Reply to
Don Young

I'm not saying this setup is correct, its just what was there when I bought the place:

The flue has the typical round weighted swinging damper-door arrangement, and when the power vent is active (when the boiler is firing) the damper door swings wide open and lots of my garage indoor air gets sucked outside by the power vent, along with the flue gases of course.

So, with all that inside air getting pulled outside, what's the point of trying to use outside air for combustion?

The unit is maintained, cleaned, and inspected by a local oil company, but I don't know if they knew the outside-air intake was homegrown or not.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Reply to