Octagonal Junction Box Troubles

I'm doing some basic sprucing up in a bathroom and have run into a snag with the round junction box holding the vanity light fixture to the wall. The new fixture I bought uses the standard round plate with slotted holes that mount to the existing junction box cover tapped holes and two screws that face outward as studs to accept the fixture. The stud ends are hidden by decorative acorn nuts.

The problem is that the existing round junction box sits nearly 3/8" behind the sheet rock and is also not even close to being parallel to the sheet rock. As a result the studs for the new fixture are not long enough. I assume that this was a mistake in construction and that the box is normally just below flush with the sheet rock. The box is shifted 3/8" or so to the left of the cutout in the sheet rock as well, and it looks like the 'solution' for the builder was to 'bend' the box bracket backward to get it out of the way of the sheet rock.

I can probably make do with some longer screws, but I was wondering if there is a more elegant/professional solution. The round plastic junction box is riveted to a metal bracket which is nailed to a stud just to the left of the box. I could drill out the rivets and remove the old box and bracket, but I don't know if there is an easy way to install a new box.

Any input appreciated,

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

search froogle "electrical box plaster ring" to see pictures of what you need. also a SMOKE ALARM ADAPTER PLATE will cover up the missing drywall or use some premixed patching plaster. look for these at

HDS Item#: 126555 as a plastic ring that they mount newer smaller replacement smoke detectors over to cover the large smoke detector circle on the ceiling or wall.

buffalobill

They also make 'octagon box extension rings', but I don't know if they come in 3/8". If the box isn't parallel with the wall, that might not help you. If it's only 3/8", and if the round plate will stay securely on the exterior of the wall, a pro would probably just use longer screws.

Reply to
Bob

Easy fix!

Get some long screws, and run in box and mark for length.

take out and cut off srew head part making screw about right length.

radio shack and others sell a stripper crimper screw cutter tool with heavy red handle just perfect for cutting screws.

buy a couple decorative cap nuts compatible with your new fixture, there are many available

then run in screws to right lenth and put a little adhesive on thrads at box

let adhesive dry, put on fixture and finish with new cap nuts.

you can put the cap nuts on the headless screws to make it easy to run them in.

sorry if I didnt explain this well, its easy to do but hard to put into words:(

The non equal box doesnt matter since you can trim the screws to whatever length you want

Reply to
hallerb

If you want to remove the old box, you can use a ceiling fan brace to install another box. It will fit into the existing hole and lock between the wall studs. The new box will be almost flush with the drywall.

Reply to
John Grabowski