Oak face drawer screwed up...I did it all by myself.

Oak face drawer screwed up...I did it all by myself.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. In retrospect, it wasn't.

Have some oak cabinates / drawers.

Had a "splot" of oven cleaner on a drawer. EastOff Oven Cleaner.

Don't ask.

Just a 2 inch diameter blot of oven cleaner with assorted oven crud on he drawer face. Didn't notice it until the next day,

The finish was not lifted, but there waes just the "blot" on the drawer face.

Tried to neutralize with plain white vinegar on a sponge..

No effect.

Tried water wih plain soap pon a sponge.. No effect.

Tried rubbing alcohol on a sponge. No effect.

The pasty "crud" from the oven spray was still there.

Soaked Fine ought (#00000) steel wool in white vinegar, rubbed on face of drawer.

That removed all the oven cleaner crud.

Left a really ugly black residue in the circle where I riubbed the steel wool. Its a black crud from the steel wool.

I raelly need to get rid of the steel wool crud.

Figured before I dug this hole ant deeper, i'd better ask for advice.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Hi, You should've used just 0000 sand paper.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds like metal oxide from the steel. Barkeeper's Friend (oxalic acid) or CLR (various acids) and light scrubbing should take that out.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
nospambob

Well, you dumb shit git, there is no "0000" sandpaper. The finer the grit for sandpaper the LARGER the number. Exactly th opposite of steel wool, where the SMALLER the number, he finer the wool. Your suggestion aout what I should hav done is assinine, and also non responsive, since requested not second guessing -- at which you are a master of misinformation -- but suggestions about reair.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Well, you dumb shit git, there is no "0000" sandpaper. The finer the grit for sandpaper the LARGER the number. Exactly th opposite of steel wool, where the SMALLER the number, he finer the wool. Your suggestion aout what I should hav done is assinine, and also non responsive, since requested not second guessing -- at which you are a master of misinformation -- but suggestions about reair.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Reply to
BiffNightly

Reply to
Hey, It's Me!

I think you need a chemist, not home repair :o) Since you have done so many "experiments" on the drawer, a couple more won't hurt. I think you mixed up some iron oxide .. try rust remover? Probably time to sand the drawer down to clean wood and try to finish it close to other cabinets.

Reply to
Norminn