Oak Barrel Tubs.

Hope not OT or please direct me to a suitable 'gardening' group. Oak barrel intact but lost its top and bottom. Going to put circles of waterproof plywood in top and bottom BEFORE I cut it into two 'tubs' for planters. The idea being the circles will also provide rigidity and keep staves in place. Will also put some SS screws through the metal bands into some of the staves. Question: Should I put drainage holes in the plywood 'bottoms'. Any advice appreciated. Also: We also have two existing 'tub' planters now which need repair; mainly what has happened is that after some 20 years, outside, some of the metal bands around the tubs have rusted through and must be repaired. Also these two tubs were standing on a concrete slab which contributed to moisture staying around especially the bottom metal band/s. Idea now is to raise them slightly on, say bricks or blocks of treated wood. Again any advice/comments appreciated. Terry.

Reply to
Terry