Noisy refrigerator

I have determined that the compressor is the cause of my noisy refrigerator. It clunks as it turns on & off. What effect does this have upon the operation of the refrigerator other than being noisy? Can this cause higher than normal electricity consumption?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nuallain

Check the rubber motor mounts.

Reply to
professorpaul

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something loose in there that seems to be the culprit.

Reply to
Nuallain

loose IN the compressor or ON it?

how easily can you shake the compressor? the ones i've seen are real solid.

maybe the rubber moutns are fine, the the barckets and such the mounts are attached to may have lost a bolt.

Reply to
Tater

It sounds like there is something rattling around INSIDE the compressor. As far as bracket on the outside of the compressor; would those typically be near the top? The only thing I can find are the 4 rubber motor mounts and their associated screws at the bottom.

Reply to
Nuallain

Take a one to three foot stick, I suppose hardwood is best but I'm sure you can use lots of other things, and hold it near your ear or on that flap and put the other end a variety of places until you track down the noise with more certainty.

I doubt this is wasting much electricity, if any, no matter what the problem. IF you can fix it before the compressor gets loose and catches and kills the cat, you should, but otherwise, you can use it until it breaks. I'm pretty sure it will break a little earlier if this noise is still there. I am not a repairman.

Reply to
mm

The compressor inside the canister has four rubber grommets that are snucked onto four springs welded to the floor of the canister. The compressor is thus suspended in the middle of the canister for noise and vibration isolatation. One of the grommets must have popped off a spring. This can happen if you laid the fridge flat when you moved house. The canister is sealed. This grommet problem cannot be repaired. With time the power cord inside the canister will fracture. Then its a new fridge for you. With one grommet out of anchor the compressor motor will twist due to the start-up torque and hit the side of the canister. Clunk. Same thing when the compressor motor stops. The torque will cause the motor to hit the canister wall again. Clunk.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

In A/C compressors, there can be a mechanical thermal cutout, sometimes w/ a spring, that can come loose. There is a spring-loaded cap over this, that can be removed w/ some difficulty. If you have a similar deal, you might just have to scrap this item, and jump it out electrically. No big loss.

Inyone notice how quiet the very old round-fridges (Kelvinators et al) were? Like watches. Much quieter than this tin stuff today. The compressors themselves were whisper-quiet--quieter, even!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Not much. Eventually, the fridge will stop cooling. I don't know about the energy consumption. but nearly anything you do increases the energy.

Start budgeting for the replacement fridge.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon