Noise transmission thru copper pipe supports

I can hear my boiler burner throughout my house. I have found that the majority of the noise transmission is via 2 threadded rod supports that support a large cast iron pipe out of the boiler that turns into a copper pipe converter for my hydronic heat. The threaded rod connects to a clamp ring on the copper pipe and screws into a base that is mounted to the ceiling joists.

Is there a noise absorbing alternative support, or maybe I can make something that supports it form the basement floor (it is in the basement).

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

They're more of a commercial product as structure-borne sound transmission is more problematic in concrete and steel buildings.

RicodJour

Or where teenagers have stereo's.

Reply to
Matt W. Barrow

The problem is that you're not guzzling enough beer or you wouldn't hear it...... :)

I'll second the muffler (exhaust pipe) hangers. If you cant find large enough ones, make them. Use some of that heavy punched metal strapping used to hang garage door tracks, and bolt in rubber strips cut from junk tires. A good recycling project. Use several layers of the rubber if needed. As for the part that clamps around the pipes, use what you already have from your current hangers. When you bolt thru the rubber, be sure to use large washers so the bolt dont pull thru it.

It should look something like this:

Jeepwolf

This is a bit on the radical side. The muffler clamps suggested will work, but you can also take some automotive type V belts, loop them around the pipe and then attach the top of the belt to the rafter/joist. The belts will last a very long time (being fiber reinforced) and will absorbe most of the vibrations easily. The biggest down side is that when someone sees it they'll think you are nuts until you explain how well it works.

Less ugly, but takes only a bit more work is to use some 1 or 2 inch webbing (like on automove tow straps) and use that as a hanger. Down side on this is it is more difficult to attach the webbing to the joists/rafters (you can't just punch a hole for a bolt, but must use several nails that go between the fibers/threads and use a backing plate to prevent the nail heads from pulling through. (Roofing nails work well in this case.)

Reply to
PeterD