No Roof Shingles

Got up on my roof for the first time since I purchased a house, and noticed that a second story "bonus room" doesn't have any shingles on it, just a layer of asphalt. The slope of this section of roof is low, and you can't see it from the ground. Is this normal?

Thanks

Reply to
gesres

No, of course not...sounds like a roofer didn't finish and may have just missed a section since it doesn't show from the ground previous homeowner never went up to check...

How long since you closed? What sort of disclosure/pre-closure inspection was done? Unless you signed off as "accepted" a statement that removes seller from obligation of full disclosure you may have some recourse for getting that portion of the roof completed with at least a cost share from the seller.

Unless it is actually of low enough slope to qualify as a flat roof (which I doubt on a dwelling unless it was an addition, not original construction), it's almost surely adequate pitch for asphalt shingles.

Reply to
dpb

Uhm...about 11 months. ;-) I just bought a ladder, so the roof was inaccessible. My main motivation behind the purchase was that I noticed what looked like rotting fascia next to the chimney. The fascia is under the shingleless section. And the wood IS quite rotten.

I had a pre-purchase done with a guy that someone assured was a "deal killer", I know he climbed on the roof; he remarked something about alligatoring near the chimney, which was fixed by the prior owner.

Reply to
gesres

Alligatoring is a condition of a built up roof. You most likely have a built up roof. Common for flat or low slope roofs. Not the best type of roof or the longest lasting, but common.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I googled on "built up roof" and it sounds like this is exactly what I have. So the lack of shingles is apparently "as designed."

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
gesres