No outlet box found in ce

GK245:

G > Trying to replace a pretty old ceiling light fixture, and after removing G > the plate that hides all the wiring, etc are, i found no metal outlet box. G > Instead, there is this really strange setup: G > G > There is black round plactic disc (about 2 inches in diameter) which has a G > 1 inch long srew type rod sticking out of it. Then there are the G > appropriate wires around it. But thats it. G > There is no outlet box or anything at all. G > G > The light i want to replace it with comes wtih a hanger bracket and the G > instructions tell me to install this hanger bracket onto the outlet box. G > Since there is no outlet box, i don't know what to do. What are my G > options?

Sounds like you're in for a challenge! As another person indicated, the wires may be extremely brittle so I'm thinking it best to disturb them as little as possible. Perhaps a pipe cutter (for plumbing) may be better than sawing the rod.

Another possibility is maybe you can install an electrical box 'around' the present configuration. Will the rod and wires fit through the hole in the back of an outlet box? Secure the box using screws.

  • Watt wood eye due width out mice bell Czech her?
Reply to
barry martin