nitrogen gas in cans

Possible, it isn't a scientific test. The wheels are clean and the valve stems were also replaced the last time I had new tires installed and there were still slow leaks.

Reply to
George

I still say it is what they painted the rims with as they mounted the tires. Maybe not the 'magic goop' I referenced, but just a better brand of the regular clear goop, or some lube concoction they mix up on their own. I have never seen a tire mounted completely dry- that is a LOT of friction to overcome. And there are clean rims, and CLEAN rims. A half-hearted swipe with a brush, or maybe blowing compressed air around it, versus a close inspection with eyes and fingertips to find any rough areas that need another pass with the wirebrush to get the grunge off. In the old days, Mercedes used to call out for repainting the rims, in their tech manual.

Reply to
aemeijers

Go to your local wine purveyor and buy a can of "Private Preserve". It is a mix of inert gases including nitrogen that is used to spray into opened wine bottles to displace the oxygen and extend the life of the bottle of wine. Altough I have a vacuum cap and seal unit that I find works VERY well instead. Also, try dry ice. Place a unit of dry ice on some paper towel on the top of your stored food and place the lid on lightly so that the evaporating gas can escape. When the dry ice block has melted (evaporated), tightly seal the container.

Reply to
Rex Mundi

You don't have to "remove the oxygen first.Think of a glass of fluid, mostly water with some 20% gatorade now take pure water and add it to the glass until it over flows, continue pouring for an other 30 seconds. Will the glass be pure water? likely not, but will it contain very much gatorade? I think not. The same is true with gases. If you fill a container with NO2 it will displace all the other gases. Could there still be some oxygen hiding in your container? Yes of course. But if you take the gas and change it from 21% O2 to maybe 1% or 0.5% that is a huge improvement.

Reply to
Clydesdale1981

Please explain exactly how one goes about overflowing a tire.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I think he is using the overflow analogy incorrectly but his point is the same. If the tire is at one atmosphere with air, you fill it to proper pressure and the original 20% oxygen is now diluted to about 1/30 of its total content.

I guess you can fill the tire, let it deflate and fill it again to purge even more.

Personally, I use a secret blend of gasses in my tires. It has argon and carbon dioxide too. For $10 each I'll fill yours.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, I wasn't talking about tires. I thought this thread was about preserving food with inert gases, but since you asked. One could easily use the same process that home brewers use to clear the O2 out of the head space of a keg before carbonating their beer. In short, pressurize and depressurize in quick succession. if you double the pressure with pure NO2 (which isn't much, standard atmosphere is about 14.7psi, so only about 30 psi) then drop back to no pressure differential then fill once more you'd already be above 90% pure NO2.

standard atmosphere:

78% NO2 21%O2 1% Argon, CO2 many others

so your tire starts at 78 parts Nitrogen. double the pressure, it's reasonable to assume you've added 100 parts nitrogen. depressurize, cutting each components presence by half. 178 parts out of 200, becomes 89 out of 100. once you pressurize it again back to tire pressure 32-45PSI you are well above 90%. you can never get to 100% this way. but if you do the math it takes 5 successions to get above 99%. Are most tire shops venting tires to attain high purity of gases in tires? Probably not. I never have promoted it's use in tires any way. But, one thing that hasn't been mentioned: Nitrogen for tires is guaranteed dry air. if you live in a humid climate and the compressor has run all day and hasn't been drained, you better believe that the air they are pumping into your tires is saturated with water. using NO2 is one way to be sure they're not introducing water into your tire and rim assembly.

Reply to
Clydesdale1981