NG Space Heater Pilot problem

It's getting cold here....so I went to fire up the natural gas fired space heater in my basement. The pilot would light but go out when I released the control knob.

So...I replaced the thermocouple. Every so many years, it seems to need it. However, this did not solve the problem.

Preheating the thermocouple made the pilot stay on. For about two minutes.

I can't really see into the pilot compartment when I'm holding the knob down. Using a mirror did not help much. It looks as if the pilot flame is not hitting the thermocouple; it's "leaking" to the right side.

The pilot unit is pretty standard stuff, the thermocouple is on the left, parallel to and separated from the pilot by about half an inch. The whole assembly is rotated about 20 degrees from vertical, about 11 o'clock. The pilot orifice faces what I would call a "deflector" that bends the flame towards the thermocouple and also has a "v" assembly that routes the flame around the thermocouple.

It looks as if the flame is not being directed towards the thermocouple and is just randomly burning around the deflector. I have cleaned this as best as I can, poked and prodded, chipped and scraped, with no help.

The only thing left I can think of is that the orifice itself is partially obstructed. Is there any way to clean this without damage and without disassembling the whole heater? Is there something else that would cause this problem?

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

a good friend had the exact same problem and reformed the mount moving the thermocouple more towards the flame.

reformed is technicians high priced lingo for I BENT IT:)

Reply to
hallerb

It is fairly common for gas jets to get obstructed when idle. I think it may be due to spiders or other insects. If you can disconnect the tube to the pilot you may be able to blow it clear. Do NOT blow any pressure back into the gas valve or it will likely be damaged. It is very easy to damage the jet when doing so but careful work with a fine wire can clear it. A brush bristle might work but might be easy to break off in the jet.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Don Young wrote: