Newbie roofing question

skylights are sorta notorious for potential problems,look closely at your skylights. A leaky skylight may manifest itself in another area "downhill".

Reply to
twiedeman

I'm in Southern California. I've had my garage renovated into a TV room - it's a separate structure and too small for two cars so we decided to make use of the space.

...but the roof leaks. I've had a handyman type twice try to "fix" it with tar, etc, but to no avail. I figure I need a new roof. At the very least it will help with the aesthetics, of course (the current roof uses really ugly giant roofing sheets which kind of flop over the edge and look nothing like the nice ones on our house...) but the main issue is, of course, not getting our TV room wet on the 3 or 4 rainy days each year.

I've got a roofing guy coming over for a quote on Friday. I thought I'd post here to get a handle on what I need to ask, what I need to know, and what to expect.

Here are the specifics:

It's a pitched-roof garage with no eavestroughing. Interior is approximately 20x12 feet. There are two sunlights on one side of the roof (installed by the previous owner and probably responsible for the leak.)

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Relaxification

Reply to
Relaxification

Where does it leak?. If there is just one leak, you may be able to trace it into the attic space by hosing the roof in suspect area, then find the place it comes in, and get some canned roof repair mastic and slop it on. Trouble with re-roofing, the roof may be fine, but flashing around skylights could be improperly installed, so a new roof might not help at all, short of stripping to decking, and reflashing around lights. It is unusual for a reasonably new roof to leak anywhere except where things, like skylights or pipes, penetrate the roof. If you do decide to re-roof, having not figured out the leak source, be sure to get references, check with Better Business Bureau for negative reports, get a warrantee, and have them start from the wood decking outwards - do not cover existing mineral felt and shingles, as you have less chance of a watertight job if you cover old roofing and old flashing.

Reply to
Roger

It's almost a shame isn't it for just 3-4 rains a year. Did you just throw that in to bother the rest of the country as winter approaches? Get a complete tear off and a new roof and a GUARANTEE. Shop prices as the range can be double for the high estimate versus the low for the same job. You'll be fine. Happy viewing.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Sorry about the rain stats. But I'm from Toronto originally, so I feel for you. I think you're right about the skylights. We've tried putting a tarp on the roof as a temporary measure but it didn't work at all, making me think it's more complicated than just a hole near the skylight. Time will tell.

Reply to
Relaxification

Those "ugly giant roofing sheets" as you call them are 90lb. roll roofing and are standard SoCal inexpensive roofing. Depending on how many layers are already on the roof you might be quoted a price on "re- roofing", that is, going over the current layers with another. A common practice. Having the current one torn off and roofed is more costly but looks and weathers best.

Cost wise, your choices are these...

90-lb roll roofing - cheapest "3-tab" shingles - middle "Architect" shingles - top of the line

Or you might lose your head and get spanish tile or slate. :-)

Oh, roofs are estimated by the "square". One square = 100 square feet.

Reply to
Stoic

R > I'm in Southern California. I've had my garage renovated into a TV R > room - it's a separate structure and too small for two cars so we R > decided to make use of the space. R > R > ....but the roof leaks. I've had a handyman type twice try to "fix" it R > with tar, etc, but to no avail. I figure I need a new roof. At the

You may or may not need a new roof. As the other person indicated, where does it leak? Start at that point and try to trace back. Water will travel along the trusses.

Did tarring fix the problem for a while? It may be the tar lost it's elasticity when cold/cooler and cracked open. Something more flexible like caulk may be the answer.

OTOH since you don't like the present roof replacing may end up solving the problem. Be sure to let your roofer know there is a leakage problem which needs to be resolved. Part of the main house's existing roof should also be removed to properly join it with the TV Room's (so it won't leak at that seam!).

  • Banned Childrens Books: Maybe Dick
Reply to
barry martin

Thanks. The structure is completely separate from the main house, so joins aren't a problem. But I think I have enough information now not to get screwed.

Reply to
Relaxification