new tile and toilet flange

Gidday all, I am tiling a new floor and am wondering if I should install the toilet flange to the floor or tile first and then install it. The flange is slightly bigger than the hole in the floor (5"). Just wondering if there is any advantage to doing one before the other. It seems to me that it would be more logical to install the flange and then tile around it, but i want to be sure. thanks Steve

Reply to
steve

Either will work jsut fine. I have tiled around existing flanges a number of times with no problems. Flange on top of the tile will work just fine as well, but may be tricky when/if you decide to replace the tile.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

What I have done in the past is let the pvc waste pipe stick up at least 5 inches above finished floor. Once the tile work was done, I would cut the vc pipe flush with the floor then install the flange assembly. Never had a problem doing it like this.

Reply to
Mikepier

The bottom of the flange should be on the finished floor for the best seal to the toilet. So Tile first would be best. Both will work, however.

Reply to
calhoun