New roof cost.

Interesting. Bing Maps (

) has even better views with their "Bird's eye" view. It's pretty cool.

Reply to
TomR

If they give it to me, yes for my budget.

That plus other considerations will help me decide who to call for an actual quote.

Yes. For me, it allows me to budget rather than guess.

"before anyone came to the house?".... yes and no, let me explain. We had roofers driving up and down the street looking for more work when many roofs in the area were being replaced so I decided to speak to one of them. In talking, I learned the # squares for my roof.

Reply to
Doug

rote:

Why wouldn't they? Perhaps because the number of squares is not enough to base a decent estimate on?

Well, it seems to me that if "many roofs" were all replaced at the same time, then you'll have just as many roofers driving up and down your street when all those roofs age out and you can just flag a couple down for an on-site estimate. No need to call around trying to get estimates based solely on the number of squares you have. :-)

In any case, going back to your original question, I still don't think that knowing the number of squares on my roof is something I'll ever need "for future reference". If you think you'll be using that information in your future, then it's a good thing you know your numbers. Make sure you write then down someplace so you don't forget them. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Salesmanship, etc.... .

Ridiculous.

No need. I just keep my receipts.

Reply to
Doug

for this type

require a lot of

a complete

to keep the

to go into

you having to

the roofers

that would

your estimate

That's exactly what they're doing, a rough estimate.

Those details can be discussed over the phone, too.

Nonsense.

Reply to
krw

It too has *really* old data.

Reply to
krw

for this type

require a lot of

is a complete

and 40-year

able to keep the

what they are

need to go into

you having to

of the roofers

is, that would

your estimate

You and I are on the same page. He's just being silly because he can't admit he's wrong.

Reply to
Doug

estimates for this type

require a lot of

is a complete

decking and 40-year

able to keep the

although if it

what they are

need to go into

without you having to

of the roofers

is, that would

your estimate

Now you're back pedaling. No one said there aren't different ways to make estimates. *YOU* said that the estimator had to be there in person; wrong.

Reply to
krw

e:

st and 2nd floor.

he pitch is very

m about 3 years

stimates for this type

n't require a lot of

that it is a complete

w decking and 40-year

to be able to keep the

mate although if it

ay, see what they are

o not need to go into

without you having to

If any of the roofers

res" it is, that would

). If your estimate

t so it's going

misc on it to

e quoted text -

they'll do and

ong.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not backpedaling at all.

I still 100% think that just calling around and getting rough estimates based on the number of squares is a waste of time because there are too many other factors involved.

Having just gone through the process, and having to had discussed the details of all 5 quotes with each of the bidders, I can easily look back and see that if I had I simply called the 5 same roofers and asked them to bid on X squares, and then decided on which of them to talk to in more detail based on that number, I would have chosen the wrong roofer.

It was the face to face, Q&A (from both of us), options offered and suggestions made that led me to choose the roofer that I did, and the one that I am 100% happy with now that the job is done.

When I say it's 2 different ways of geting an estimate, I simply mean that if it works for you (or Doug) then run with it. It really makes no difference to me how you choose your contractors. For me, a rough estimate based on number of squares is too rough for me to work with and is therefore the wrong way to make a decision. The fact that I think it's the wrong way for you guys to go about it also is something you can agree with or not. That doesn't matter to me, nor does my opinion make me wrong.

As I've said all along when I answered Doug's *question* the first time. "No, I do not think the number of squares is a good thing know for future reference."

I don't need that number because I'll never, ever, use that information for anything.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

and 2nd floor.

pitch is very

about 3 years

estimates for this type

require a lot of

it is a complete

decking and 40-year

be able to keep the

although if it

see what they are

not need to go into

without you having to

any of the roofers

it is, that would

If your estimate

it's going

quoted text -

Bullshit.

Now you're moving the goal posts. Nice. You really can't admit that you're wrong.

You can't know that.

Irrelevant.

Back pedaling.

Wrong.

That's likely. It is information.

Reply to
krw

e:

rote:

e 1st and 2nd floor.

d the pitch is very

them about 3 years

f estimates for this type

oesn't require a lot of

ow that it is a complete

new decking and 40-year

ike to be able to keep the

stimate although if it

y say, see what they are

y do not need to go into

ime without you having to

ct. If any of the roofers

quares" it is, that would

10'). If your estimate

flat so it's going

ave misc on it to

on not only the

onable range of

rk they'll do and

the roof is 11

mber of squares.

ch other for the

out of line for

timated mine at

, using GE for

long way off.

ong.- Hide quoted text -

the other issue is how many new roofs does anyone pay for in a lifetime?

with bitchane underlayment and 50 year shingles it might just be one....

Reply to
bob haller

e:

ote:

the 1st and 2nd floor.

and the pitch is very

d them about 3 years

of estimates for this type

doesn't require a lot of

know that it is a complete

ll new decking and 40-year

like to be able to keep the

at is possible.

estimate although if it

hey say, see what they are

hey do not need to go into

ytime without you having to

rect. If any of the roofers

"squares" it is, that would

x 10'). If your estimate

t flat so it's going

have misc on it to

d on not only the

asonable range of

work they'll do and

f the roof is 11

number of squares.

each other for the

ay out of line for

course, you are

estimated mine at

ow many feet of

re, using GE for

a long way off.

wrong.- Hide quoted text -

This is my second. In both cases the number of squares was never part of the discussion and never needed to be.

Should I need another roof in my lifetime, the number of squares will not be needed in order to get the type of estimates *I* will want to get.

To each his own...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote the following on 5/18/2012 7:06 AM (ET):

Why are you telling me all this? I'm not the OP.

Reply to
willshak

The actual cost will be somewhere between ONE CENT, and ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS (US currency).

There's your only accurate answer from alt.home.repair.

Reply to
yomama

1st and 2nd floor.

the pitch is very

them about 3 years

estimates for this type

doesn't require a lot of

that it is a complete

new decking and 40-year

like to be able to keep the

is possible.

estimate although if it

say, see what they are

do not need to go into

anytime without you having to

correct. If any of the roofers

"squares" it is, that would

10'). If your estimate

flat so it's going

have misc on it to

not only the

reasonable range of

they'll do and

the roof is 11

number of squares.

other for the

out of line for

course, you are

estimated mine at

many feet of

using GE for

long way off.

wrong.- Hide quoted text -

Finally we have something you said, we can agree upon !!

Reply to
Doug