New roof advice

Can anybody tell me what to watch for,im going to be getting estimates soon,i live in pa,the roof has 2 layers of shingles,go with the best shingles,what ply of paper,tear off both layers,thanks for the advice,dan.

Reply to
Dan

In most places, 2 layers is the limit of what you can have on the roof. You'll probably be starting from scratch - expect to be quoted for a tear-off.

1) Ask for references and go take a look at houses done by contractors you're considering. If you see broad areas where the color looks like it was smudged off, it sometimes means the workers were on the roof when it was hot. Feet and knees cause surface damage when the shingles are hot and soft. It doesn't necessarily cause leakage or anything, but the results look awful. 2) Another visual - total shifts in color from one area to another. Probably means the contractor did the roof with shingles from more than one production run. Not good. Be sure to ask about that. 3) Make sure the contractor is comfortable with the way your gutters are installed. He may want to extend his shingles a bit further than the previous ones, which can affect how your gutters catch water. You don't want the roofer saying "My work was done right, but the gutters were installed wrong, so it's not my problem". Get comments on that right up front. 4) Observe your current drainage situation, and think about any ice damming situations you may already have. Discuss those things with the roofer. He may recommend some extra vents in certain areas (for the ice problems), or certain minor changes in areas where perhaps the rain misses the gutters. 5) Ask about how the roofer cleans up after the job. If he's iffy about cleaning up all the nails, move on to the next contractor. The one I used said the cleanup was no big deal - he had a system. In 5 years after my new roof, I found exactly one nail, and I spend lots of time gardening on my knees. If there were more, I would've found them. Don't hire a slob. 6) A dumpster will be needed for the tear-off. Depending on the condition of your driveway, a dumpster can do some damage. Specify that you want it parked on wooden skids, and provide the wood if necessary. It's cheaper than repairing blacktop.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

when selecting a color remember white or off white saves energy in the summer

definetely remove both layers

that rubber membrame is excellent at preventing leaks, costly but worth it.

adding ridge power or additional venting will help the new roof to last longer.

have installed in warm or hot weather, so the tab sealers melt.

get lots of references. i an in pa too pittsburgh, what part of pa are you in?

Reply to
hallerb

Your only safe source of advice is a neighbour you know and trust whose house was reroofed (say)

3 to 5 years ago.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

And looks double-awful after a few weeks of dirt discoloration.

Almost always required anyway. A third layer's weight may cause the roof to collapse.

Good point.

Excellent advice. You can't have too much venting. Have the roofer install turbines at the same time - one per 750 sq ft of floor space.

All other things being equal, a good idea, though the tab sealers will seal on the first warm day.

Reply to
HeyBub

our roofers faq:

buffalobill