New metal roof question.

We want to put a new metal roof over an existing asphalt shingle roof. There is only one layer of shingles. Some people have said that we need wood firring strips, but I'm don't see why. Can't the metal be screwed down to the existing shingles? Do we need felt paper between the shingles and the metal? If we do need firring strips, what would be their purpose? Thanks, Henry

Reply to
Henry H. Hansteen

This is Turtle

To let the heat flow out from under the sheetmetal and help cool in the summer and not let moisture form under the metal roof like in rotting out wood under the sheet metal cover. It works better this away.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Gerard uses a combination of 1x4 vertical and 2x2 horizontal to the roof line.

ABC

Who are the "some people"? The manufacturer will have recommendations. Follow them and you should have no problem and they will not hassle you if there is a warranty claim.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i had decra by tasman put on. these were metal shingle type. and they could be put on one layer of asphalt shingle. however i had gaf metal mate put on the entire roof and the decra metal shingles screwed down. i don't know about any other metal roofing.

Reply to
jdk