New hot water heater question

My the check valve started to show signs of water the first day I used my new heater. So I turned down the thermostat. It still run water. So I turned it way down, and it still does it. When they installed the new heater, the plumber checked the inline pressure and said it was fine. So do I have a bad check valve on this heater? Is a thermal expansion tank necessary? How hard are they to install?

JaKe

Reply to
jkdrummer

wrote

No offense, but you should be calling the installer and asking HIM/HER why it is dripping......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I assume your mean pressure relief valve not check valve.

Water pressure nay very, it may have been fine when it was measure, but up at other times.

Yes the valve could be defective.

Do you know if you have a check valve on the incoming line? If so, you should plan on an expansion tank.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Without actually being there to see it, sounds like an exp tank may be needed:

If the pipe into the heater is copper, there is even one model of tank which has a self-piercing fitting and does not require soldering.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It's not a check valve, it's the high temp/press relief valve. Did you try opening it and letting a gallon or so of water out? Sometimes they don't reseat correctly, there may some debris lodged in it, etc. If that doesn't work, it sounds like it's bad and needs to be replaced, which fortunately, is easy.

Reply to
trader4

Sounds like a easy test thanks!

Reply to
jkdrummer

You're right, I should do that today.

Reply to
jkdrummer

Jim, could you tell more about the solderless tank? Got a link or product name/number?

jkdrummer

I believe places like HD have that model. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Dont use that P-O-S! Put on a full port 3/4" opening expansion tank. That piercing model will clog up quicker than .............. Have you seen the crap that comes out of the bottom of a water heater. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I could be wrong, but does not the expansion tank go on the cold water line? I don't think there is much chance of that gunk in the bottom of the tank finding it's way upstream to the expansion tank. If it did, then my humidifier (which is on the hot water line and my ice maker which is on the cold water line, would have puked out long ago.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Think real hard Joseph. That stuff in the bottom of the hot water tank. Where do you think it came from? Its in the water. It came from the COLD water line. That same line where the self piercing tank is that you want to hang on that water heater. Will it work? Sure. How long? Anybodys guess but most likely not long enough and the self piercing tap will clog with deposits. Just like the orifice, solenoids and self tapping water valves on those water heaters. I know as well as you that everything eventually breaks and everything needs maintenance but I like to install stuff and not come back for that particular item for a long time. It gives me time to concentrate on selling new stuff and more add on items. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba,

Why do you think it shows up in the bottom of the hot water tank and not everywhere else? Trick question here, there is a good reason.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph, And why do you think it shows up on copper fittings that werent soldered very well (leak)? Why do you think it comes through on brass fittings that werent cast very well (sand holes)? Why do you think it shows up on washing machine hoses at the fittings? Why do you think it shows up in the strainers in humidifier solenoids? Why do you think it shows up in those drum style humidifiers? Have you ever pulled a copper fitting adapter off of a new water heater that has that damn plastic heat trap and ball in it? You want to see blockage and corrosion? Look there. Fortunately for you, this is NOT a trick question. Now, just to be fair to you I'll ask you this question since I really havent followed your actual abilities............... Are you in the service industry? Id have to think not because this is all very elementary. Now do you need any more help? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sorry Bubba, Not responsive to the question. The stuff on the pipes forms there for a different cause due to the totally different conditions in the hot water heater an on the pipe. In fact it is not the same stuff. OK some of the stuff in the bottom of the tank is the same, but not all.

However the real point is, it is not a problem with that kind of fitting. End of issue. Those fittings in most areas (maybe some water conditions or wells may cause problems) but in any area I have lived or heard of, it has never been a problem.

Let's face facts Bubba, you are a troll. Funny most trolls like you show up only when the kids are out of school.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Unfortunatly Bubbaass is not a troll but a HVAC pro linited by lack of knowledge on many important HVAC parameters, But Bubba can`t get this fact of his nonqualification.

Reply to
m Ransley

and by that you have just proven you dont have a clue. You've never done service because you wouldnt have said that. If you think a self piercing fitting wont clog you are a total fool. And THAT is the end of the story. Even if I were a troll (and Im not) Id rather be that than some wannabe giving out incorrect advice trying to act like something you arent. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote: ...

Doing service does not mean you know how to do it right.

We all make mistakes. I do, you do and president Bush Jr. does. One of the three of us are willing to admit it when we do. That's the way to learn and improve.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

By the way mr piss for brains. Learn how to spell you school-less wannabe. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba