New furnace isn't giving off much heat

The original post, in it's entirety: "New Grandaire furnace, gas high efficiency 40k btu in 1200 sft house near boston. All new insulated duct work, hooked up and seems to run right, but the air coming out of the supplies is only about 75 degrees. Any ideas why its so cool"

Also: "73 degrees is furthest away 82 for one that is right off the plenum., "

But you are right, he's also complaining about how long it takes to heat up the house: "It was about 60 inside. Took 90 minutes to raise the temp to 68 and thats with an outside temp of 55. I cant imagine this will be any better this February."

Now the fact that the copper pipe was stolen out from the house suggests the house may have been vacant and somewhat derelict as well, which means it COULD well be uninsulated and drafty - basically an old barn - in which case the furnace WOULD be too small, but in which case it would also be much more cost efficient to seal up and insulate the old barn, rather than throw a bigger furnace at it.

Reply to
clare

I know of some very well insulated hot water heated homes - from less than 5 to over 40 years old.

What gets me is someone was able to tear out all the copper - what kind of condition is this house in???? Has it been vacant for some time and half trashed, with any insulation compromised by vandalism?

Does the atlantic breeze flow unimpeded in through one wall and out through the other??? If not, the furnace should be close to the right size, and throwing a

150,000 BTU furnace at it is not going to be an effective solution to the bigger problems involved.
Reply to
clare

Ala