New electrical panel recommendations needed

I'm looking into getting a new 200 amp service box for my old house. What is the most recommended brand to consider? Any brands to avoid?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

These days, I don't believe there are any terrible brands on the market, such as Frank Adams, Zinsco, or Federal Pacific. Probably the general consensus is that Square D model "QO" is the best, but Murray, Cutler Hammer, Homeline, Westinghouse, GE, and all the other universals, are fine

Reply to
RBM

I'd recommend picking a panel that has listed GFCI and AFCI breakers available, should you ever decide to bring your house completely up to current code. I've seen Siemens (ITE), GE, Square D at least at the big boxes.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Every manufacturer making residential panels, make the required breakers for them

Reply to
RBM

Square D is coming out with a 60 circuit panel and Cutler Hammer is coming out with a panel where the AFCI breakers stab onto the neutral bar as well as the hot buss.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Sorry to be dense, but what is the benefit of Cutler Hammer's AFCI breaker neutral bus stabbing feature?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

On Jun 21, 6:40=EF=BF=BDpm, "John Grabowski" wrot= e:

thnbks a 60 circuit panel is just what i need...... thats wonderful.

Reply to
hallerb

It's faster to install AFCI breakers and there is less clutter from all of those extra neutral wires from the AFCI breakers.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Easier installation, neater organization due to the lack of neutral pigtails on the breakers. Normal breakers don't need a neutral connection, so the typical GFCI or AFCI breaker has a neutral pigtail. Seems like a nice idea.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Avoid Federal Pacific Electric.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It sounds like AFCI breakers could just be plugged in, like regular breakers can. It could make it a lot easier to replace one of those (AFCI breakers).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

i dont believe the mains are still sold in the US and replacement breakers cost a fortune,

Reply to
hallerb

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:51:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote Re Re: New electrical panel recommendations needed:

I thought they were long out of business?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

the name lives on in canada, and theres always a chance some contractor might dig one out of the back of a warehouse:(

Reply to
hallerb