New decking boards over old?

I need to replace the surface on my 200 ft sq deck here in SC. Can I just nail/screw new deck treated/composite boards over the 27 year old treated ones (maybe at a 45 or 90 degree angle), or do I need to remove the old ones first?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Yeah that would be a lot easier, pulled and replaced mine a couple of years ago. Mine were too warped to go this way. Just get a big pry bar and pull the old boards up. I'm sure you will be a lot happier with the result. Fortunately it's a job you can do piecemeal.

Good luck

Reply to
Jeff

pull them all up, and inspect everything below, with 27 year old joists you might have some bad ones.

Reply to
hallerb

Of course you can, but the real question is "should" you do it. I'd say no.

First, the deck is not going to be sealed between the layers of boards. Rain will get between the two boards and foster rot and mold. There must be a reason to replace them and that will accelerate the destruction of the new.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not to mention water freezing into ice in winter and lifting the new boards.

Remove the old boards, check the framing for bad boards, replace anything that is bad, and install new decking. Maybe you dont need to replace all of them anyhow. Just replace the bad boards. If they are treated, it's likely some if not many of them are still good. If the frame is solid, just replace a few boards at a time. That way you can still use the deck, and not have a big mess.

Reply to
maradcliff