new constuction unlevel floor questionable repair

------------------------------------- _____ ____ / \ | o | | |/ ___\| |_________/ |_|_| |_|_|

Reply to
gharal

I recently had a contractor add a 2 story addition to my house. After finishing the ceiling below and the hardwood floor above, I noticed that it was not level. There was about an inch and a half variation across about 12 feet from one side to the other. The floor above this ceiling, meaning the 2nd floor was also unlevel especially at the corner where the

2 walls meet. This is new construction over a concrete slab foundation. After I noticed, the contractor removed the sheet rock from below and used a car jack to raise the plywood subfloor where it was low. He also did some sawzall cutting and hammered t down the floor where it was high. He then used adhesive to glue the plywood subfloor to the shims and bridge the gap to the existing beam. He assured me that this is ok but I am skeptical. I paid quite a good deal of money for a quality job and do not want any structural damage months or years from now. Is jacking and shimming a standard acceptable method for new construction? Can beams be sawzalled and adjusted after framing and finishing is complete? Please help.

[...]

Was this construction over a new-excavated and then puored concrete slab, or had the slab bween there for a long time???

Reply to
hrhofmann

BS post, a Troll. Tollin.

Reply to
ransley

So good it was posted five times, once with an additional turtle and once

*only* with a turtle. I liked the post with just the turtle the best.
Reply to
Jules Richardson

So you think my guess is correct, its a BS post

Reply to
ransley

I hope it's a troll. If not, clearly the answer is to get a competent home inspector in their ASAP. Any contractor that could do a new floor and have it totally out of level is so bad, that God only knows what else is wrong. Did he pull permits and get the necessary inspections?

Reply to
trader4