Need to learn about toilet flush technologies

Hi all: Can anyone refer me to web site(s) where I can read about currently available flush technologies? I'm replacing the toilets in my home and want to learn about the alternatives, with particular interest in units offering power-assisted flushing. Thanks for your replies! PE

Reply to
pe

WRONG You just dont want to admit that you will have to flush the toilet about 10 times more than usual today...... (After you eat thanksgiving dinner)..... You're just getting prepared !!!

Reply to
maradcliff

I would suggest it is not just the flush technology.

Two of the most important parts of the equation is the trap size (larger is better) and fully glazing the trap. You are not likely to have problems with any toilet that has a large fully glazed trap. (Note: the trap is the exit and in most toilets the inside has a finish like very rough sandpaper. Fully glazed means it is as smooth as the parts you see.)

Power assist adds to efficiency, but it does not seem to be as important these days as the designers have found other, passive, solutions that are quieter, less complex and have fewer maintenance problems.

I would also add that quality and good construction are not really expensive. What is far more expensive is design. If you want a fancy looking sculpted tank, it is going to cost a ton and my be mechanically identical to the cheapest one in the line.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The power pressure tanks work but they are loud, hear one first, your neighboors a mile away will know everytime you go.

Reply to
m Ransley

More than you ever wanted to know about toilets: The MaP report

- Maximum Performance (MaP) Testing of Popular Toilet Models

- updated every few months

- available at:

--

(see the "What's New" section)

--

(Scroll down to Map report.)

--

(click on Reports)

- Reviews and reports on customer experience with various toilets and flushing technologies.

- Links to other sites.

Thanks,

Joel Zink snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
jzink0883

Reply to
Support Your Cowardly Troops!!

It looks like a disease using the name "Support Your Cowardly Troops!!!" unfected this newsgroup.

  • PLONK *
Reply to
ndykg

"pe" wrote in news:Ljdhf.8073$dv.3711@fed1read02:

Google "flapperless toilet".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'm not sure why power-assisted flushing would be needed. The two American Standard Champions (not power assisted) we installed have never needed to be flushed more than once.

Perce

On 11/24/05 01:45 am pe tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I've stayed in motels that have power assisted flush, and it was louder than I would want all the time. In addition, I figure there's an air compressor which in a motel was far away, but in one's home would be within earshot. Is that true.

My brother has a lot more money than I and finally, at the age of 60 bought an expensive house, with fancy French toilets.

If I am not in perfect health, including my digestive system, so that my bowel movements are dry as a camel's, the toilet has to be cleaned after each use. The part at the bottom that is covered with water, is only a little patch, as big as the top of a teacup. and I just can't aim that well. (Actually I can't aim at all.)

I don't know if they came with the house or during a bit of remodelling they did.

I haven't had nerve enough to discuss this with my brother, sister-in-law, or their maid if they are unsatisfied. (I"ll bet the maid is.)

mm

That could be a good thing,

Couldn't it?

mm
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

John

Reply to
John‰]

At

there are numerous reports of leak problems with the valves and seals on the American Standard Champion models. One poster said that the Champion flushed too fast, didn't clean the bowl well, and was very noisy. More than one poster said that they had returned the Champion to the point of purchase. What has been your experience?

jzink0883

Reply to
jzink0883
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Mine has not had a fair test as it is only three months old. Yes it does flush with a reasonably lound "CLUNK", but it's a powerful flush that works 99% of the time. No leaks or other problems; I like it.

John

Reply to
John‰]

Perce,

At the Terry Love website, some posters have complianed about problems with the Champion valve and sealing ring even after receiving "new and improved" parts from American Standard. Others have complained about a too-fast, noisy flush that didn't clean the bowl well.

Are you happy with the Champions?

Thanks,

jzink0883

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Reply to
jzink0883

I just bought a Champion last week to replace a big old water waster with a cracked bowl. The Champion does flush with a single noticable "clunk", but does an excellent job clearing the bowl. Judging by the performance and design inside the tank, I don't think it will ever require a plunger to clear. The "water spot" could be a bit larger, and the bowl "wash down" could be better.

I installed a Kohler Wellworth in another bathroom a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. Bigger water spot, and a "two stage" flush, i.e., press the handle briefly for a "light" flush, hold the handle down for a more complete flush. A good value for about $179 (IIRC)

If I have to buy another toilet in the future, I might buy the Wellworth instead of the Champion and save $100.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Haven't read the posts at terrylove, but when I installed my Champion I was unable to fully tighten the tank-to-bowl bolts until I had the weight of a full tank of water to help compress the rubber donut under the tank. Once the tank was full, I noticed some minor drips and went back in and fully tightened everything down. So far, so good (only one week, though...)

Reply to
Paul

I'm still waiting for American Standard to come out with the Champion in their Rhapsody Blue color. Until then, I'm stuck with their disfunctional Cadet 1.3 gal toy.

Sherw> I just bought a Champion last week to replace a big old water waster with a

Reply to
sherwindu