I need a replacement plug for the heater blower relay in my 95 Chevy
pickup truck. Everytime I turned on that blower motor lately, I have
been smelling a hot sweet smell of something overheated. Shutting off
the blower stopped the smell.
The blower motor and associated wiring in these mid 90's trucks are
notorious for electrical failures and even some fires. A year ago, my
blower stopped working, and I found a plug was melted. I removed it, and
soldered the wires together. (That plug was undersized when
manufactured, and is the #1 cause of fires). I eliminated it!
Today I ripped the dashboard apart again, and traced the wires. Nothing
was burned that I could see. After having a bucket of water handy in
case of fire, I left all the wiring exposed and let that blower run.
Soon I smelled the hot odor and began sniffing around. The odor was
around that same wiring area, and near the blower motor, but the blower
itself was not hot, nor was it's feed wire.I left it run longer and the
odor got stronger. Eventually I noticed a little smoke, and then the
blower stopped. I reached down there and almost burned my hand on the
heater relay and one of the wires behind it.
I unplugged the relay, and found one of the five contacts was burned and
the plastic around it on both the relay and the plug melted. That exact
same sweet smoky odor was very strong on that relay.
The local auto parts stores have the relay. But none of them have the
plug. I suppose I could order the whole wiring harness from a Chevy
dealer for a huge price, but that's not gonna happen.
We have no auto salvage yards around here.
Where can I get a plug?
This is the exact relay: (photo included)
No, I cant use those 1/4" crimp on terminals, these terminals are