Need help fixing lawnmower pull cord

I was trying to start my lawnmower and the cord broke off inside the round lid thingy on the top. I got that off and tied a new knot in the end but it's got a lot of slack in it, and now I can't get a good enough "pull" to start it. Is there some trick to getting it to pull the cord back tight? It's a Murray

22" 3.8 Centura mower and says "Tecumseh" on the top.

Thanks,

Lynette

Reply to
<LJ

You have to wind up the spring, then feed the cord onto the drum. Be careful, it can bite you. There are a number of tricks to do this I guess.

Reply to
Greg

That's for sure. I used to do a bit of work in my old man's small engine shop. Recommendation: If you haven't seen the job done, don't do it, take to a shop and watch them for the first time before attempting it yourself. They can be very dangerous until back on the machine.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just did this two days ago on my Sears Eager 5.5 Hp mower. Remove the winder. Trim the tip of the cord using a lighter to melt the loose fibers. Wear a glove or you'll burn your finger tips trimming the cord. Wind the winder three turns and then feed the cord through the holes. Knot the cord and release.

Your're lucky. It took me several hours to figure out how to do it.

Reply to
Yaofeng

inside the round

the end but

enough "pull" to

tight? It's a Murray

Remove the

loose

the

through the

do it.

Some mowers can be done without even removing parts. Pull the old rope out with long nose pliers. Wind the spring by pushing the top of it around with screwdrivers. When it's fully wound, block it with the hole in it lining up with the outside rope hole, and feed a new rope through. Grab the end with the pliers, pull it out, and tie a knot. Pull the rope back in, release the spring, and you're done. This has worked for me on a few older B&S engines.

Bob

Reply to
Bob