NEED ADVICE: WHICH AIR COMPRESSOR SHOULD I BUY?

Hello, I'm pretty handy around the house, and am considering purchasing an air compressor to help with various projects. Some future projects I'm planning include framing/finishing off my basement, building a deck, installing moulding, and possibly some light auto repair. I was thinking about getting the 6gal/2 HP model from Sears, due to its portable nature and relatively small size. However, I'm concerned that it might not be powerful enough to handle a framing nailer. Please advise! thanks in advance.

Reply to
RAY D.

cap lock problems? No need to scream when you are asking for help

Reply to
SQLit

I don't know how Sears rates their compressors. Some companies tend to be generous when it comes to specifications.

Most framing nailers need 70-120 psi at 4.0 - 5.0 CFM. Air tools for auto use may need a little higher flow rate.

Unless you are planning to use the compressor on a steep slope, I'd strongly recommend you buy an oil type compressor, not the oil-less. For your application consider this IR model or something similar:

Travis Jordan

If it has a tank, it can handle a framing nailer.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Ray, I bought one of the Home Depots 2 1/2 gallon jobs for around $300. Came with some accessories and I built a big oversizwd two car two story garage. I used a big porter cable nail gun for the framing all worked great. I now have a brad gun for finish work and also a kit of tools from Sams club for working on the truck. No need to spend big bucks when all you need is a small unit. Easy to carry around and just plug it in the wall and is great for the type work you mentioned. Check Ebay for nail guns. Muff

Reply to
Muff

Grab the specs and check. Framing nailers will list PSI requirements, and there's likely a chart of what tools your compressor will run. And yes you can use framing nailers fine with that compressor. I've run two at a time off an older version. For other tools, check each one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

What kind of compressor should I get to clean and blow stuff off. I'm usually cleaning upholstery on newly constructed chairs and sofas. I'd like a unit for the garage also. This unit will also be used as a drive a brad nailer.

Reply to
SEPrince1