Need advice on "wood edges" for ceramic tile countertop

I am in the process of getting ready to put ceramic tiles on my kitchen countertop. After looking around a bit, my wife and I decided that 12" square tiles would look good on our counters. As newbies in this process, I was surpised to find our how much ceramic bullnoses cost ! The ones we looked at were approximately $4 each. At that price, the cost of the noses would far exceed that of the tiles we would have to purchase.

I began to look at the possibility of using wood edges for the edge of the ceramic bullnoses. I went to both the Lowes and HD in my area and found that the selection of wood pieces for this purpose was very limited. I am sure that there are other alternatives.... but, I need a few ideas. I would appreciate anything you may know about this.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

On 11/26/2004 2:51 PM US(ET), Al Kondo took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

All of my 4" tile countertops have oak trim edges. I bought the unfinished oak trim at the same hardware and lumber store where I bought the cabinets back around 1986 (before HD and Lowes opened here). I installed the cabinets and moulding myself. The moulding is around, you are just looking in the wrong place. This is very similar to my countertop trim.

willshak

Before you discount those bullnose edges, take a good look at them. They have a raised lip which will keep (to some extent) spilled liquids from running off the front of your counter and down the sides and insides of the base cabinets. I've got a rental with a kitchen tiled countertop with wood edges, no lip and constant water drips into the drawers and cabinets. Tenant doesn't complain too much, but next time it comes up empty, I'm fixing the countertop edges so I don't have to keep fixing water damage to the cabinet doors.

Well you wanted to know. If you can, make sure your wood edges incorporate a raised lip.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca