Need advice on High Efficiency Heating/Air for metro Atlanta?

I'm looking to replace my heating and air units and I'm looking for advice.

I live in metro Atlanta and have a 2-story home on a slab, approx. 2400 sq feet. I have 2-zone heating and air, with the 2 furnaces in the attic. The house and units (Trane) are over 21 years old, and although they still works, I think it's time to upgrade to new efficient units.

I've been happy with the Trane units, so I'm leaning that way, but I'm willing to take other suggestions.

But my first question is how much should I anticipate having to pay for

2 heating and 2 cooling units to be installed? I'd like to get general range of what it would cost before I start getting estimates. I'm looking for bottom-line for 2-zone

Second, any recomendations on the SEER rating that I should get for metro Atlanta (East Cobb county)? I'd like to go with the highest practical efficiency.

Third, should I opt for any of those "air-cleaning" add-ons, or are they not effective?

Finally, any recommendations on a local HVAC contractor?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Reply to
noonehere

You will save money on your utility bills...

Trane's good, but so are other brands. Look for the installer, not the brand.

How much is a car? How fast do you want it to go? Do you want it low slung and sporty or large and imposing? These are questions similar to what your HVAC pro will ask. (What heating efficiency do you want? What cooling efficiency? Etc...)

13 SEER is the minimum manufacturered now. You can get 16 SEER for a good price and go as high as 21 SEER. The higher efficiency will cost more money, but it will also save you money on your utility bills. IMO, the prices start getting crazy above 16 SEER.

Do you have allergies? Does anyone in your house? I install media air cleaners on everything now and offer UV lights. Your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, I'm listed on both...

Reply to
HeatMan

yo Mark! are the yellow pages broken in your neck of the woods? your phone? your dialing finger? get the picture?

Reply to
gofish

Mark, Expect to pay about $50 per system for the 19 SEER units. Dont pay for those fancy air cleaners. They dont work. A good $0.59 fiberglass throw-a-way filter will clean your house just fine. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Why cant you put in one unit and zone it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I recently bought two complete Trane furnace / AC / heat pump systems from R.S. Andrews. It took numerous phone calls and 7 service call to get everything right. I had to teach one of the techs how to solder copper pipe. One of the gas lines they installed violated code.

I'm just saying...

Reply to
Craven Morehead

I've used Peachtree Service Experts for many years in my homes in DeKalb, Gwinnett, and now Fulton counties. Their prices are not the lowest, but they stand by their work. I had a system they installed a few years ago that wasn't sized correctly. They came back and made it right without charging a penny more.

-Jack

Reply to
jack.bornstein

Because one system is located in the attic and the other is in the basement/crawl. At least that's the way they usually do it around here.

There may be no way to get the ductwork between floors.

Reply to
HeatMan

I take that back......

Reply to
HeatMan

Reply to
Bubba

Service Experts!!??? hahaha. I wont even attempt this one except to say that they use extremely ...................."interesting" sales tactics. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Mark, it would be wise to get better informed before you take the big step! I would have a manual J Heat-Gain Heat-Loss done, and a thorough check of the entire duct system and airflow. Atlanta Georgia summer design conditions, 92-design dry bulb, 74-design wet bulb.

I would not limit myself to one Brand Name, I would shop around some and see how they compare, including their warranties. Even if they charge a small fee, find out if at least one contractor will check the ductwork and airflow prior to bidding the job. If they don't get the airflow right along with everything else the new system won't get its rated BTUH or the SEER Rating

The higher the SEER the more perfect everything has to be to achieve it, and it may not be achievable! Find out what the average annual hours of cooling are in the Atlanta area.

Do everything you can to reduce the Heat-Gain, Heat-Loss before doing the manual J!

If you become knowledgeable enough you will save considerable money on the equipment purchase, installation, and operating costs! If it is a quality installation in every aspect it should operate relatively trouble free with minimal downtime and repairs.

- Darrell

Reply to
udarrell