Need advice on flooring

I'm going to do change the flooring of my 40-year old house. The main floor is carpet, while the bathroom is old lino. I'd like to get the popular laminate flooring to replace carpet, but need advice on how to do with the bathroom. After adding laminate flooring, inside the bathroom will be lower. How to handle where the laminate and lino meet? Maybe I can add a layer of plywood to bathroom, and place new lino. This way, both sides could be leveled the same.

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John61

"John61" wrote on 19 Jan 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

It depends on the thickness of and installation method for the engineered wood product. If you just fasten 3/8" wood to the existing subfloor, you'll have ~1/2" difference between the inside and the outside of the bathroom. That's not much, and most people ignore it and put in a piece of transition trim at the doorway. It normally isn't a trip hazard, but I don't know your family, so it may be for you.

You can put a layer of plywood down in the bathroom with new resilient flooring on top if you want to level it out. Beware that you'll have installation issues with the toilet and cabinets, depending the thickness of your underlayment. I'd pull the cabinets and run the plywood under them. I would prefer *not* to put the toilet on the plywood, though it's done all the time.

Reply to
Steve

Transition strip at the door will take care of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

your better off with tile in a bathroom, laminate will mark and be damaged by moisture, ceramic tile is ideal

Reply to
hallerb

I was thinking he was leaving the linoleum alone, which is a viable option.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

e quoted text -

Not likely, since he said it was old.

In any case, the transition can normally be handled by the door saddle/ threshold.

Also, there are many types of flooring product of various thickness and characteristics that are loosely referred to as laminate. It can mean an engineered wood base topped with a thinner genuine hardwood top and hard factory finish. Or it can mean a cheap reproduction product using totally synthetic material made to look like wood. The value added to your home will be affected accordingly. In one case you have a real hardwood floor. In the other you do not. What's appropriate depends on many factors individual to you.

For the bathroom, I'd go with tile.

Reply to
trader4