We just moved into our new house and have well water. Since it has a
sulphur smell, the contractor had a chlorinator installed. I have
How do we know how much chlorine to inject? The chlorinator has a
dial with graduations from 0 to 10. When it was installed the
installer set it on 3 and we noticed that the sulphur smell was gone
but that we had a distince smell of chlorine. The local city checked
our water and determined that , without chlorine, our water is safe so
the only reason for the chlorine is to get rid of the sulphur smell.
We have heard that too much chlorine is not good for you so, how do we
gauge how much to add and how to calibrate the dial on the
Our system consists of a well that is 600 feet that is plumbed into
the house into a pressure tank. The chlorinator is plumbed to inject
the chlorine into the water before it goes into the pressure tank.
That is all we have. We do not have a retention tank after the
pressure tank. Any thoughts on that? Should we have one?
One person told me that we should not have any more than 1 ppm of
chlorine in the water. Is there a test kit that will help us
determine how much we have?
Any help will be appreciated.