Need Advice

I'd like to know what I'm in for before the gas cleaning/repair service man arrives. I'm sure it needs cleaning as our gas supplier stated such; however, it's an extremely old furnace and hasn't been serviced in over 12yrs. It certainly needs servicing. Can anyone guess what might be causing the following: The gas feeds, but the burner doesn't light right away. Does this mean anything from a cleaning to a new burner? Thanks

Reply to
wipeout64

If it's really a furnace (heater of air) it's probably got a horrendously clogged air-filter by now, or is a huge fur-ball of household dust. Or both.

Probably has trouble with pilot, mostlikely a bit dirty.

Cleaning of firesides should raise efficiency.

barry

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if it uses a filter. We purchase our gas from our electric company. They looked it over and said it needed cleaning so I'm sure it needs it. It's an extremely old furnace

- 20yrs old or more - probably older - came with the house. Do you know what the symptoms would be if it needed a new burner or new gas valve? Those are the heafier priced items.

snipped-for-privacy@sme-> > I'd like to know what I'm in for before the gas cleaning/repair service

Reply to
wipeout64